Chapter 1: Dark Past

--1845--

James was walking in the woods, enjoying the scenery, following his daily routine. He enjoyed going there just because it was not far away from home and he can move around easily. It was approximately 5 in the afternoon and he was getting tired. He was sitting by the lake and holding some stones.

Indeed it was hard for him, as several months ago he was cast off by his mother and father with a man called Thomas Logan.

"Why is life so hard?" James thought to himself.

He stood up and threw the stones into the water, experimenting on how far it can go. The sun reflected on the water to make it look like a perfect painting.

He always wondered who Thomas Logan was beyond being the helper of the Howletts. He's always seen him as a father figure, a person he could talk to during hard times.

"It is getting late, I must get home." James said.

He stood up and started to walk home. He wondered if he should ask his helper whether he should make a path to the lake. He touched the trees as he walked, feeling its hardness. Canada was always a quiet country, it was for the rich and the poor. Sadly, he was at the receiving end of it.

After a few minutes, he heard something move. It was a wild animal, nothing he'd ever seen before. He hid behind the bushes and looked around for the animal. There was a bear to his left and he knew if he moved, he would be dead meat.

"What do I do? What do I do?" James continued to think.

He ran straight to the house, without even noticing the bear running towards him. He stopped when he saw a giant log on the ground, as he could not find a way around it. He was cornered with nothing to do.

The bear approached him slowly. It could strike at any given moment. He held a sharp stick and pointed at it, as it attacked. It scratched James left arm, and he screamed as he plunged the stick through the bear's neck and ran away. He had blood on his hands from the bear and he looked at his arm.

It was bleeding too much for him to handle. Suddenly, his skin began coming back together. It felt as if the tissues were forming once more but at a much faster rate. He hurried on his way back home where he caught Thomas drinking.

"Where have you been?" Thomas asked, drinking beer.

"I was in the woods by the lake. The scenery was beautiful." James said, hiding his hands filled with blood.

"Well, that's good. You should save that moment as you will see that once in a lifetime."

"I think I should be getting to bed now. goodnight." James said, making his way to his bedroom.

"Actually, we have something to do tonight."

James had a bad feeling about it. Thomas always had ideas that were out of this world.

"What is it, Thomas?" James asked.

"We will be visiting your mother tonight. I need to talk to her." Thomas said.

"Are we allowed to see them again?"

"I'm sure they will." Thomas said, placing a hand on James' shoulder. "Now, get some new clothes and we'll be going to your mother."