Chapter 7: Magic

After school.
As Rio was called by his math lecturer to visit her after school ended, he currently stood in front of his lecturer's laboratory room.
The laboratory was located in one of the library's basement rooms.
Rio knocked on the laboratory door.

"..."

There was no reply.
He tried knocking again.
This time loud noises could be heard from the other side of the door.
Alas there was still no reply.

(Is anyone inside?)

Rio knocked again this time applying more strength.

"Pardon me. Sensei!"
"Da—! Sorry for making you wait! This place looks a bit better now! Y-You're Rio right? What is it?"

By the way, Rio was almost hit in the forehead by the opening door. It was due to his superb reflexes that he managed to avoid it.
What appeared in front of him was a beautiful young girl elegantly drinking tea by the window.
So surreal was the scene before him that he was left momentarily stunned.

"Ah— yes. Today during class, Sensei told me to come after school ended to receive supplementary lessons."
"Aah—, I see. It must have been very difficult for you today. I was concerned about the extent of your knowledge. I only wanted to see where you stood, but ended up humiliating you as a result."

She said that while making an apologetic expression.
Rio did not react to the regretful looking teacher.

"Ah, no. It is only natural that Sensei would be interested in the extent of a scholarship student's knowledge. Actually it is I who must apologize for taking up Sensei's valuable time to tutor me."

The girl's eyes widened hearing Rio's answer.

"Heh~. Despite being a commoner's child, you're very clever for a child your age aren't you? Are you really 7 years old?"
"Yes I am. Say Sensei, you're also considerably young aren't you? I was surprised someone as young as you is a lecturer."
"Is that so? I'm already 12 years old. Well the truth is I'm barely at the age where I can graduate from the elementary course. It's just that I skipped a few grades so I've actually already graduated from the advanced curriculum."

Thanks to Rio's flattery the girl became more attentive and talkative.

"Truthfully, while I'd like to only concentrate on my research, lecturing in my spare time allows me to take a breather."

Wrapped in a robe, she proudly puffed her chest. Rio was a little amused at her action.

"That's really impressive."
"Ehehe~ Ah, you just transferred in so I haven't had a chance to introduce myself yet. I'm Seria. Seria Claire. I'm of noble descent but I dislike formalities so it's fine to act as you usually would."
"Yes, my name is Rio. A pleasure to meet you."
"Hai~ Hai~ Best regards to you too Rio. Anyway don't just stand there, please come in."

Seria beckoned Rio to enter.

(S-So messy...)

He instantly did a double take seeing the chaotic state the room was in.

"Ah, it's a bit messy. Here, you can sit on this chair."

(...a bit?)

There was something very wrong with that statement but he pretended not to notice.
As Rio took a seat, Seria pulled out a sheet of paper and laid it on the desk.

"Well then, first off, do you know what numbers are?"
"I do."
"Fu~n, then there are eight books. You finish reading six of them. How many books have you yet to read?"

Seria threw a simple math problem at Rio for him to solve.

"Two."

Rio replied immediately.