Chapter 6: Enrolment

Two months have passed since the start of the first term in Bertram Kingdom's Royal Institute.
Since Rio was entering in the middle of the term, it was only natural that he became the centre of attention.
It was arranged for Rio to be introduced in the first home room.

"Starting today I will be studying together with everyone in this class. My name is Rio. Please take care of me for the next six years."
In a flat tone, Rio introduced himself without hesitation.

"A transfer student in the middle of the term?"
"He doesn't have a family name. He must be a commoner."
"Why is a commoner entering in the middle of the term?"
"From what I heard, he's the orphan who rescued Christina-sama from danger. Enrolling in the Royal Institute on His Majesty's recommendation was his reward."
"An orphan? And thanks to that, this kind of guy is enrolling in the Royal Institute?"

No applause came.
Instead, the sound of murmurings could be heard from the students who were evaluating him. Their eyes gathered on Rio.
A tinge of hatred surfaced, this seven year old kid already tainted the place for nobles to study.

As for the kids of high class nobles who served in the royal castle, they already knew about this beforehand.

Naturally they also knew that Rio was an orphan and were looking at Rio as if witnessing a strange animal. It was understandable since they all came from a privileged class.
As for Rio himself, he already expected that things would turn out like this.
With his facial expression completely calm and serene, Rio surveyed the entire class.
From the looks of it, he judged that there were over 100 people in the room.

Classes 1 to 3, each class consisted of 100 students.
It was very clear that the population was divided by social status with a distinct wall between nobles and commoners.
The noble class was further hierarchized. School regulations dictated that discrimination based on social status and connections were not allowed but judging from the classroom's atmosphere, it was clear that it was only a façade.

(Well by creating relationships during the time at the institute, once you graduate you will have a large number of connections. N...?)

Suddenly, Rio's gaze rested on a familiar face.
The person sat in the far corner of the classroom.
Around her were students from high pedigree sending despising gazes towards Rio.
When her line of sight matched with Rio, Christina pouted her lips in displeasure.
It seems that she hates me quite a bit; Rio thought that while cynically laughing in his mind.
He also had no intentions to involve himself with Christina.
If she hated him, it will only be more convenient.

"Fumu, any questions? ...so there aren't any. Yosh. Rio. You can sit at that empty seat. Basically you can sit wherever you want but I recommend you sit there for now. That's all."
"Understood."

The lecturer standing beside Rio simply said so and urged Rio to sit. Rio who also preferred to not stand any longer in front of the class quickly moved to the empty seat.
Thus Rio's life in the Royal Institute began.
There were four classes in a day with an hour for each class.

But problem arose in the very first class.
And that was math class.

"Well. Okay, let's see. Rio the transfer student. Please solve this problem."

Said the lecturer in charge of the current class. Each class had a different lecturer.

The one in charge of math class was a considerably young lecturer.
If it was in Japan, she would be around the age of an upper grade elementary schooler.
However she was actually closer to that of a junior high schooler but her appearance betrayed her.
Rio was asked to solve a problem that could be compared to a first grade elementary school problem in Japan which anyone could solve.
Unfortunately Rio did not understand what was written.