chapter one: meet karl...

After the assassination of the Prince Franz Ferdinand of the Austro Hungarian Empire, the German empire declares war on Russia. Due to established alliances, France is preparing for conflict. A few hours after the announcement of the general mobilisation German civilians living in France are asked to leave the country. Karl is one of them.

Birds fly over the sun kissed horizon. Karl's wife Marie rocks their sweet son Victor to sleep, she softly sings, hoping he will have wonderful dreams. Karl shovels stacks of barely into a horse cart nearby. The ring of bicycle bells soon echo throughout this scene of beauty and serenity.

It is the gendarme. Their arrival was expected. Brakes squeal to a halt as a burly man steps of his bicycle. His hat covers his face in a dark shadow whilst his badge gleams in the bright sun. The man strong as a lion yet emotionless, grips Karl's arm. All falls silent. As if the world knows what is to come. War.

Without so much as a goodbye. Karl is taken. The wails of his wife Chase after him. Helpless and confused Victor cries. Eventually the howling screams fade away into a valley of tears. He was gone. Seized by war never to return...

Emile's hand sits gently on his daughters shoulder comforting her. On the outside he stands cold as ice, a statue staring at the distant fields. However on the inside sits an anger, a deep fury and hatred towards those who took away his son in law away, away forever. Despite all of this he doesn't shed a tear. He count show the truth. Karl would never come back and neither would he...