chapter two: the barracks

A few days after Karl was deported, the war was hungry for more and took away Emile as well...

A heavy hearted Emile was called up to fight. Emile had hope. Praying he would return, he was ready, ready to fight the Germans. No matter how much pain he would do it. For Karl...

Grabbing his hat from the wooden stand, he looked in the mirror . Tears streamed down Marie's face yet with a farewell kiss on the cheek Emile left for Saint Mihiel like so many others before him, he had no idea what fate had in store for him...

Soon Emile reached the Saint Mihiel barracks the large metal gate loomed before him. A powerful guard stood by the entrance. Once Emile had shown the correct documents to the guard he was allowed through. A small stubby man who (Emile guessed) was an officer stood rigid handing out uniforms. Above his head the phrase "Liberté Egalité Fraternité" was spelled out with bold brass letters. A phrase never to forget.

Once changed into the rough abrasive outfit he and a dozen others were marched to a muddy field littered with shrapnel. The training was brief. Taught how to shoot, climb hills and use a grenade. This was it. The soldiers would meet at Gare de l'Est train station. Here they would get their first assignment and for some it would be their last...