Chapter 1: Just Lying Around

Jade's POV

The first thing I noticed, before the grass soaked in rain, before the night sky dotted with stars, and even before the ominous trees, stripped of their leaves, that seemed to surround me…no, the first thing I noticed was the fact that I only had one arm. Now this seemed to be something that required my immediate attention. I studied my left shoulder, the place where my arm should've been, but no matter how hard I looked I just couldn't seem to find it. At last I decided to give up, if I looked around for a bit, my logic told me that it was bound to turn up somewhere.

With great difficulty I managed to roll onto my stomach, the moist ground sent a shiver through me so violent that I'd almost describe it as a spasm. Now that I was in a more advantageous position I could see that my arm was back. It had been under me the whole time, I was slightly worried about the fact that I couldn't feel or move it, but I figured I was just over-reacting. I took a moment to look at the creature just inches away from my nose; it was to my left so I had to squeeze my right eye shut to be able to fully focus on its writhing body. It was obviously quite small although up close it looked rather large. It reminded me of a strawberry lace in its broadest perspective; it wasn't as long as a strawberry lace, it was also rather fat, and the colour of pink flesh instead of bright red. Actually, there was something about the colour red, something important…

But my mind had already wandered back to the worm…worm? Oh yes! That's what it was, a worm! I smiled to myself in satisfaction, well, that was one mystery solved. As a reward I let myself lie there, feeling the beginnings of pins and needles…

Damon's POV

Well, that had gone better than planned. I had finally revealed my arrival at Mystic Falls to my dear little brother, who in his delight had promptly threatened to find out what I was up to no matter what. But I knew the threat was an empty one, Stefan was weak on animal blood, and to be honest I wasn't up to much. His girlfriend on the other hand, a delicious little thing with white blonde hair and lapis lazuli eyes, had been quite a treat. The spitting image of Katherine, no wonder my brother was smitten, maybe I'd have to change that.

It was night, the best time for a vampire, unless you had a ring like me, than the day was just as convenient. The corners of my lips turned up at my little joke. A thought, that was just as constant as the throbbing of my un-dead heart, pushed itself to the front of my mind. I hadn't fed in a while, as I had been flying aimlessly as a crow for the past half-hour I decided to land on a neighbouring branch in the middle of Old Wood. Not bothering to change back I used my mind to search for food, sensing the wildlife around me. Going to the middle of the woods might not have made a whole lot of sense since it was just as easy to look in town, but a lot more people came through here as sight-seeing, and in the woods there was a lot more fun to be had.

But I soon realised that I wasn't alone, just beneath me was a girl lying on the ground. I could deduct that she was probably around eighteen, her clothes weren't in the best condition, not that I was complaining, but she appeared to be wearing blue jeans and a simple black top with no sleeves that was rather flattering. Her hair was matted with mud and rain water but I guessed shoulder length and mahogany brown with hints of red showing through, she was bare foot.

She was also a vampire…

Jade's POV

 I opened my eyes, which was weird because I didn't remember closing them. I gently explored the sodden grass with my previously dead arm, it was alive! I got to my feet at an impossible speed and as a result fell back into an awkward sitting position. It was at this moment that I knew someone was there, I tried to explain it to myself, it was like when you know someone's behind you, except I was certain of it, and it was more above me than behind. I looked up and sure enough, a huge bird loomed over me. Well, I guess it wasn't really looming since it was all that way up in the tree, but the sense of it was definitely there. Its plumage looked like it would be as soft as silk and it was black, but where the moonlight caught it, hidden shades of blue were revealed like secrets. The word 'crow' came into mind and I saw that its eyes were completely black, it looked all pupil, but instead of the flat expressionless black I had expected, I saw that it had an endless amount of depth to it. Something in its eyes told me that it was laughing at my predicament.