seventeen

July 4, 2017 ; Minneapolis, Minnesota
Evelyn

I stare up at the colorful sky. Bright reds and oranges blur into dark pinks and purples before fading into various shades of deep blue. A small smile pulls at my lips as I gaze at the show. The sun fades into the distance as the colors shift and change, darkening with every minute.

"It's quite splendid if I do say so myself," Corbyn chimes in with a fake British accent behind me.

I smile, handing him the other side of the blanket we brought. He helps lay it down on the dirt ground, "Very funny," I laugh.

"Don't judge, join me," He remarks.

I shrug, slipping into a mock British accent as well, "Do you want some tea or water?"

"Tea would be fine, madame," He jokes along. We both start laughing

"Hey, guys," Daniel joins us, "What're you laughing at?" He asks skeptically. 

"The sky is just fantastic, isn't it Daniel?" I continue speaking in my accent.

"Yes, it's quite splendid," Corbyn jokes along.

Immediately, Daniel starts laughing, "Oh no."

I take the picnic basket from his hands and set it down on the blanket, "A picnic on the Fourth of July? I say we're quite American," I remark in an American accent and kneel down to take everything out of the basket.

"I thought we were British?" Corbyn asks, still in his fake accent.

"American, pal," Daniel joins me.

Nova and Zach are heading down the small hill with another basket, and Jack follows, carrying his skateboard.

"Where's Jonah and Gemma?" I ask.

"Meeting one of Gemma's friends," Daniel explains quickly.

The thought of another Gemma arises in my head, "I just hope she's completely different than Gemma."

"You think someone who can actually tolerate Gemma is different?"

"One can hope," I sigh, "Nova, come help us unpack."

She brings down the other basket and set it beside me. Within minutes, we have unpacked our dinner for tonight.

"So, has Jonah brought Gemma around his house yet?" Zach asks, eyeing the empty space.

Jack shrugs, "I know he told his mom, but I don't know if they've been to his house together."

"Which reminds me," Zach turns to Nova and I, who are grabbing the utensils, "For the show tomorrow, Jonah's family is coming, and after, we're all going to dinner."

I nod, "Well, I wouldn't want to intrude."

"You wouldn't. You're part of our tour now," Jack smiles.

"Alright," Nova nods.

Daniel hits my shoulder gently, "Hey, look."

Three figures are heading down the hill. Jonah and Gemma are walking in front, holding hands, and lingering behind them, a girl follows hesitantly.

"Show time," I smile at Nova.

Jonah and Gemma arrive at the site of our picnic, and I can finally make out the figure behind them. The tall brunette smiles kindly at me.

"This is River," Jonah motions toward the brunette, his hand still intertwined with Gemma's, "She and Gemma have been friends for a long time, and after Gemma moved, they haven't been able to see each other."