Jasmine

Please leave a message after the tone. *beep*

"Hi Jen, it's me. Umm, it's Jasmine. I'm scared, really scared. It's one of those things that you think couldn't possibly happen to you. And then it does. You know that lesson we just had about RSEM? I think – I think I might have it. Like, in PE I couldn't see the lines properly? What if I'm in the second stage already? No one even knows how it is transmitted. What if I've infected the whole school? Oh my god, what if I gave it to Cassie as well?"

Jasmine put the phone down and sighed. It was lunchtime at school and she was hiding in the toilets. She had biology next, but she didn't want to go. The bell rang and there was the sound of over a thousand people moving to their lessons, groaning about maths or science or history. The halls went quiet again and Jasmine slipped out of her cubicle. She then made her way to the school gates where she escaped to the adjoining field. Walking usually cleared her head, but today her thoughts were messy and swirling around like butterflies. They fluttered around, as though trying to escape. Jasmine sank to the ground and let out a shrill scream. It was a scream not of pain but of lost hope and fear. Jen was missing and had been for years. She knew that but calling Jen used to help. Now she just felt even more scared. It was as though vocalising what she felt had made it worse. She almost laughed – she had grown up being taught to talk about problems and that it always helps. Yet now it made it worse.