Chapter VI

*2 years later*

Two years have passed and Notre Dame has treated me well. I have one last year before I graduate and I'm proud of myself getting this far. Passing my classes and gaining minimal injury throughout my football career here.

I spent my Summer with Gemma and Kath. They forced me to go on a road trip and how could I say no to them. I haven't seen my family, not in the flesh anyways since I've moved here. Not for any of the holidays, I guess it just made it easier. I still haven't dated anyone since Tash and Angel. I get a lot of attention with my accent over here but I've just focused on studying and training. There's still not a day I don't think of her though. I don't know if I'll ever get over her.

As I get ready for another year ahead I get a call from my coach to meet at his office. As I walk in there's a lady I've never seen before, our coaches assistant and himself. He asks me to sit down; he's usually a very upbeat person so I sense that something isn't quite right.
"What's up coach? Everything alright? I have to be honest I'm feeling quite anxious."
He looks at the lady who gives him a nod. "Frankie, I don't know how to say this without..." he sighs before he could carry on and now I'm really worried. The lady cuts him off. "Hi Frankie, I'm the universities guidance counsellor, we received a call today from your mother. There was an accident."

"A what?!" I stood up as quickly as I could but they asked me to sit back down. "She's not my mum. What did she say?"
Coach looks at me with his teary eyes. "Cazz your father sustained major injuries. He didn't make it. I'm so sorry."
I feel my heart drop to my stomach as I start to bawl and tell them they must have mistaken me for someone else. The guidance counsellor is trailing off about how the university is there for me. All I can think of is that I've lost my best friend and that the last time I saw him was on FaceTime while he begged for me to come and visit London.

I talked to the university about freezing my scholarship for the year or at least till I know what I'm going to do. They allowed me to. My teammates took me the airport and promised to all attend the funeral.

I'm scared, nervous and most of all I'm sad. Now I've got to take the longest plane ride of my life. Just when I thought everything was going perfect.