Chapter 17

"Nooo!" Alyra cried, trying to dive back into the river but something restrained her. "You have to save my friend, please."

Her vision blurred, and everything went blank as she collapsed. When he eyes fluttered open again, she rested on a carpet of soft grass. Blurry stands of spruce blotted out the blue sky.

Lotari's bearded face loomed above her head and finally came into focus. "Is she hurt?"

Alyra tried to sit up, but the centaur sitting beside her, pushed her shoulders back onto the ground. The Guardian, they'd also called Issah, crouched on her other side checking her arms and legs for injuries. Next to him stood two of the most beautiful warriors she'd even seen, with pale skin and flowing silvery hair. Their gear sparkled with newness. Behind them, a group of more centaurs stood partially hidden in the bushes.

"Nothing too serious." Issah helped her to sit upright. "She's going to be fine."

Her head spun for a moment, then cleared.

Alyra gaped at the white-clad warriors, the centaurs, and then Issah's kind face, and wondered if she'd fallen into an even stranger dream than Lord Darnel could conjure.

"Tarek?" she croaked, her voice strained and throat raw from swallowing so much water.

"He made a different choice," Issah squeezed her shoulder, his voice sorrowful.

Why hadn't he held on? They would have saved him, too.

Issah lifted her in his arms. Her breath caught, but she didn't dare fight him this time. Lotari stood and moved to Wyndham's side. The stern leader bowed his head as Issah approached them.

"We must get her to safety." Issah's gaze locked on Lotari. "Will you return Alyra to the Highway? Wait with her at the next stream. I will let you know where to go from there."

Lotari turned so she could be placed on his back. Wyndham scowled, but said nothing.

The hawk flew down and landed on the Guardian's shoulder. "Rohond," Issah patted the hawk's head. "Lead the way for them. I'll see what I can do to ease this situation. Go, make haste."

Lotari took off into the woods without a second glance behind him. Alyra wrapped her arms around his waist as the trees turned into a blur. The hawk stayed a few feet ahead. Head swimming from her narrow escape and losing Tarek again, she feared passing out.

The centaur grasped her hands and held them tightly against his chest. "Hang on, little one. We'll soon be safe."

She nodded, burying her face in the thick hair running down his back like the mane of a horse. She shut her eyes against the galloping motion, hoping to quell the churning in her stomach. When his pace eventually slowed, she opened one eye. The familiar white stones flashed beneath his hooves and she began to breathe easily again.

"Ah, the stream. At last." He patted her arm.

She opened her other eye as he made his way over the rocky shore and into the watercourse.

Lotari didn't stop until the current reached his flank. Alyra slid off his back and let the cold water sooth the pain in her leg and arm. Unfortunately it didn't ease the searing pain inside her chest.

Tarek... disappearing in the blink of an eye. Everyone she had contact with ended up in trouble or dead. Dean killed for helping her. Jerin angry and now lost. Her mind whirled with fear and concern that Many River's misfortune was her fault. Those soldiers were looking for her. And Tarek... a prisoner and forced to hunt her out of fear for his family's safety.