Chapter 12

The carriage rolled along quietly beneath the early morning sun. Princess shifted her achy legs, her body moving like stiff cloth. The effects of her escape and long walk seemed to have already taken its toll. Strange how only two nights had passed since leaving Racah when it felt like a whole season. She closed her eyes and gave in to the swaying of the transport, not wanting to think about the distance remaining.

Jerin slumped next to her, quiet and sullen. Across from him sat Carah, who continually watched the dense forest outside the curtained window, her slender fingers running over the string on her bow.

Beside the maiden warrior, General Marcel attempted to make notes in a journal, despite the bumps and jolts. He tapped the graphite rod on the page twice before closing the cover. For a moment, Princess swore the letters actually lit up. He slipped the book in his shoulder bag, tossing her a wink.

Marcel turned to Jerin. "I will get word to your father on your decision to journey to Aloblase. Do not worry, Son. He, and your land, will be well taken care of in your absence. I swear upon my honor."

Jerin shifted in his seat and despite any misgivings said, "I'm grateful for your word, sir."

Carah turned to him with a warm smile. "You will learn from the best instructors in all the land, Jerin." She leaned in closer and rested her hand on his arm which caused his cheeks to turn crimson. "I trained at the academy, too, and plan to return next season. I know you'll love it. I'll be eager to hear the stories of your travels when I return."

The bright flush crept upward, tinting his ears and forehead. Princess realized he'd been taken with the maiden warrior from the moment he first saw her. Perhaps that was part of the reason he didn't want to leave? She didn't blame him. The warrior Carah was both brave, skillful, and was pretty with her bright blond braids and big brown eyes. Princess grinned at Jerin until he scowled back at her in a silent warning to keep any remarks to herself.

Marcel cleared his throat, but Princess didn't miss the twinkle of humor in his brilliant gray eyes, as well. "Traveling to Aloblase is the wisest course of action for you, Jerin. Even though you desire to be a warrior, it may not be the King's desire for you."

"But sir..." Jerin protested.

Marcel held up a gloved hand. "Besides, the girl-child will need someone along to help her. And keep her safe."

"No I don't." Princess folded her arms over her chest, jutting her chin out in defiance. "I've done fine on my own."

Jerin snorted a laugh. "Like when you picked DezPierre to be your guide."

"I didn't pick—!"

"The decision has been made." General Marcel held up both hands to stop their bickering. The carriage jolted to a halt. "You two can settle your differences on the road." He opened the door on his side and stepped out, then waited to offer Princess a hand down.

Carah gave Jerin's fingers a gentle squeeze. "Of course, you have the choice to completely reject the General's suggestion and do whatever you want." She opened the opposite door and climbed out. "Though I've never seen such choices turn out well. Still it's yours to make."

Princess paused a moment, wondering what Jerin would choose. His sullen expression was filled with a look of utter bewilderment. She shook her head and left him to work out his thoughts. She didn't need a caretaker. If he thought he'd come along as some kind of guardian, then she hoped he'd stay. Instead of taking the general's hand, she hopped down on her own, wanting to show them she didn't need a guard dog.

Though having a traveling companion might be nice. The thought of walking so many miles alone caused her stomach to squirm as if filled with wriggling snakes. Still, she didn't want anyone along who didn't wish to be there in the first place.