Chapter 16

Sharp pain stabbed Alyra's side as she jogged over the white rocks. The path wove through woods so thick, her lungs burned for air. Then, as if walking into a brightly lit room, the trees parted and Alyra came upon a sunny clearing where a newly built settlement stood. She halted on the bridge that crossed a swift stream flowing past the western township. Her racing heart slowed after several deep gulps of air. She'd finally reached safety.

"Beautiful." She followed the white path to a road circling the township.

Many Rivers was larger and much grander than Yarholm. In contrast, these buildings were made of fresh timber and stone with sparkling glass windows. People dressed in colorful attire headed toward a sprawling, two-story stone building standing in the center of town. Several elders, holding small children by the hands, hurried inside. A group of adults, wielding pitchforks, scythes, and other deadly looking tools, gathered in the town's center.

The settlement, resting along the edge of a precipice, overlooked a green-swept valley. Below in the far distance, a patchwork of farms and groves reminded her of a quilt pieced together with mismatched shapes.

When Alyra reached the steps of the largest building, she realized the walls were the same stones as those lining the King's Highway.

"That's the Meeting Hall." A red-headed boy, dressed in green overalls, stood on the top step with a hawk perched on his gloved hand. "You must be Alyra. We've been expecting you."

Her mouth dropped. "How?"

He held the bird higher. "Rohond delivered a message to the elders. So the elders tole me to keep an eye out for you. I'm supposed to escort you inside where you'll be safe." He appeared to be around eight or nine years old.

"Row...hond?"

The hawk fluttered its wings, then bowed its head.

She recalled once hearing something about birds being used to send messages. In the castle, Darnel had people to run his correspondence, not trusting creatures or animals to follow through on his orders. Alyra stared around her, completely dumbfounded, and unsure of what to do, or who to speak to. Lotari said the Racans were advancing, searching for her. They'd catch up to her here if she didn't keep moving.

The boy came down the stone steps and tugged at her sleeve. "I know this is a lot to take in. Look, my name is Beave and Rohond here is Issah's messenger and scout. Come on inside with me. I'll get you something to eat, and we'll wait for the disturbance to end."

Beave spoke to the bird with a pat on her feathered back. "Thanks for showing her to me."

Rohond bobbed her head again and then took flight, her speckled wings flapping until an air current swooped her over the treetops.

Alyra continued to stare at the boy, trying to understand what he was talking about. A Racan attack was not merely a disturbance.

He grabbed her wrist and gave it a tug. "You'll see. But we need to get inside the Meeting Hall before those intruders get here. We'll watch from the roof." She stumbled after him.

Her mind reeled, trying to take in what was going on. So Issah, also known as the Guardian, was from Aloblase? Her shoulders sank with her heart. He'd probably been put off by her rudeness. No wonder she hadn't seen any more of him since her split from Jerin.

"Are you hungry? I'll get you something to eat." Beave glanced over his shoulder to make sure she followed.

"Yeah ... No!" She dragged her feet. "Wait, wait! I can't stay here! They're probably after me."