One

Annabella.

The way of the law is simple: don't do anything that could potentially harm national security, or harm any civilians, and for the most part, you'll be fine. Of course, there are exceptions to this general guidelines, such as drugs, abuse, theft and the like. My dad raised me on the law. I knew every word of the Miranda rights, I knew everything about every bad guy in Chicago, what they were in for or what they were going in for. That was my job. I wasn't fully inducted into the police force, as I was only sixteen years old, but that didn't mean I didn't work in the background, analyzing their every move and studying them like they were my term paper. 

Since we were moving to England, however, I was no longer able to keep up with the analytical job I had a firm grip on. My dad believed it was about time I pulled myself from my computer and was sent to an actual public school, as my entire education resided within the confines of a private school with stupid teachers that didn't know the first thing about computer programming or how to grade papers. I didn't expect public school to be much different, but what I really wasn't looking forward to were the guys. The private school that I had gone to was composed completely of a female student body. I was awkward and shy around guys that weren't part of my dad's prescinct. 

With a loud sigh, I pulled my messy light brown hair up into a bun and shrugged on my denim jacket, already knowing what the weather was going to entail: coldness with a side of clouds. Exactly the same, dreary envrionment we had arrived in. Once I had pulled my Chuck Taylors on and grabbed my bag from my bed, I headed downstairs, kissed my dad on the cheek, and hurried out the door. To say that I was nervous would be an understatement, because as far as I knew, not many American girls were transferring to schools in London just for the hell of it. I would be going in alone, and I would have to be brave. 

The walk to school wasn't even that bad, as it was just a mile to reach the front gates of what I quickly learned to call hell. All around me, kids were laughing and shoving each other around playfully, leaving me to jump out of the way mighty quick and hurry off to find the front office before the beginning bell rang. I didn't know what to expect, in all honesty, but I knew for a fact that I was not expecting this. The school itself were three story high buildings, with a courtyard smack in the middle of them. A large, iron gate stood at the front entrance of the school and the walls that went around the entire property -- as far as I could tell -- were cinderblock, painted a subtle tan. The school, overall, was massive, way bigger than my previous school. I kept my head low as I made myself to the administrative building, a bottom floor establishment located underneath the center structure. If the school didn't have a 'guide' at the front entrance, I would've never known where to go. 

The cool air inside the administrative building hit me quick as I pushed open the door with slight resistance backing the glass. There was one countertop running the length of the room, with a flap at the end of the section that had hinges attached to it. The sound of ruffling papers and fingers tapping against keyboards quickly overcame me, and I realized that they must of been here long before the school gates were even unlocked. I leaned against the tan counter, my hands folded into one another and my foot tapping anxiously against the ground, "Um, excuse me?" I asked, my voice smaller than I had expected it to be. 

A small, quirky lady looked up from her paperwork, a toothy grin on her face, "How can I help you today, love?" I almost forgot that I was in England, so her accent was kind of a slap in the face. 

"Um, I'm here to pick up my schedule? I'm Annabella Lane...I just transferred here from America?" She nodded in understanding before excusing herself, disappearing into a room just off the main entrance. Within a few moments, she was in front of me once more, handing me things to sign and things to look over. I had to fight the urge to analyze her as a person, because my father strictly prohibited that. He said my days as an analyst were over. I thumbed through the paperwork, signing where I needed to sign and initialling where I needed to initial. Finally, she handed me my times table and a map of the school, which she had already highlighted with all of my classes. I had four classes on the third floor, and two on the second, with a lunch break in between the three. 

I thanked the lady at the front desk before walking back out towards the courtyard, where the dreary day greeted me once more. My first class was technology, which I was dreading. I didn't want to get wrapped up in something that I loved, especially after my dad told me to stay away from things like that. I must have stuck out like a sore thumb, because more than one person was looking at me from across the glen, but only one actually approached me. Her hair was long and brown, slightly curled at the ends, and her eyes were a deep brown. She was definitely petitie, and the smile on her face was nothing but genuine. "Hello," she grinned, holding out a delicate hand for me to shake. "I'm Eleanor. You're new, right?" 

"It's that obvious, huh?" I grinned, shaking her hand. "I'm Annabella. It's nice to meet you, Eleanor." She squealed, jumping up and down slightly with a more than excited look on her face. 

"Your name-- it's so pretty!" She exclaimed, smiling widely. 

"Oh--" I responded, blushing slightly and tucking my hair behind my ear. "Thank you. That means a lot. Yours is really pretty, too, don't think I'm the only one with a unique name." 

Eleanor grabbed onto my hand and tugged me with her, pushing her way through the occasional person that stood in her way. "Move it-- hey-- new kid coming through!" 

I blushed again, especially when we bumped into a male, and apologized for Eleanor's behavior as we made our way through the crowd as quickly as possible. We soon arrived at a small, grassy glen located towards the back of the school. On the hill were several groups of people, all of them looking like the people my dad tried so hard to put away. "Guys, this is--" Eleanor started, but she was cut off by a boy sitting at the head of the hill. 

His hair was unruly, sticking out in places and flying in the occasional breeze that blew through. "Annabella Lane." He grinned, licking his lower lip and playing with his lip ring. "Well isn't this just the greatest of pleasures?" 

I stood there, biting down on my lower lip and looking him over. I didn't know him. I had never seen him before in my life, but I knew his type. Cunning, annoying, slick, and definitely a ladies man. "Who're you?" I asked, my voice having an edge to it I had never once heard before. 

"Harry. Harry Styles. I believe your father and I have some unfinished business to take care of."