Being Eleven Sucks

Chapter 3

"Holy crap," Lizzy says as my feet touched the rough ground. "What just happened?"

"I know what's going on," I say putting my arms back at my sides. "We have powers. Lizzy, you have pyrokinesis. Timmy, clairvoyance. Sara, telekinesis. Lillian, technology manipulation."

"What about you?" Lillian asks with concern.

"That's what I'm trying to figure out," I stress. "I have to focus when I do what I do. It's not easy."

"By the way, what's pyrokinesis?" Lizzy asks.

"The ability to ignite and extinguish fires with the mind," Lillian says automatically.

"Clairvoyance?" Timmy says.

"The ability to receive information without using the five senses," Lillian replies.

She looks at Sara and asks a question with her eyes. "What?" Sara laughs. "I know what telekinesis is and I'm sure you know what you are. And Charlie - he's like an everything."

An everything? I can't do everything. I can't fly. Wait, I sort of can.

"Let's stay away from people's houses, for now," Timmy says, off topic.

"Why?" we ask in unison.

"Those creatures, they're called The Faceless Faces. They want us. They're like me, but less powerful. They know where we're going."

"Why would they kill the people around us?" I ask, confused.

"The people around us know things."

"What things?"

"I don't know. The Faceless Faces are clever. Once the memory and owner are dead, I can't receive the memories."

"Where are we going to go, smart-one?" Lizzy asks, sarcastically. But Timmy doesn't answer. I shift my weight from one leg to the other, anxiously for what is to happen next. "That's what I thought!"

"Can we go to Sara's house, or Timmy's?" I ask.

"No," he replies," we can't. They know where we're going and we don't need anymore deaths."

"Oh - okay."

"So um, what is technology manipulation?" Sara asks, turning to Lillian.

She pinches her eyebrows together and makes a face at me. "Show her," I say. Lillian smiles happily and looks around. She stops and stares at Sara. Suddenly, a telephone pole far behind us, in untouched grass, makes cracking noises. They wires extending from it throw sparks and snap, one by one. The cords fall onto the ground and squirm, electricity dancing at the end. Then, they rise into the air and connect perfectly to their origin, the electricity now flowing again through the cords.

"That," she says, obviously proud of herself.

Suddenly, I see, out of the corner of my eye, a branch from one of the trees in the untouched grass move. Alarmed, I turn my whole body towards the movement, and Sara yanks out the knife. A pale-faced man without eyes walks toward us. But he wears nothing. But there's also nothing there. He walk toward us, showing no fear. He grabs Lillian arm and throws her to the ground. I want to do something - like snap his neck with telekinesis, but I don't know how. He waves his arm over her and she closes her eyes. Sara's hands move and the knife moves. But it moves only inches before it stops. I notice the Faceless Face has his hand in front of him. He puts his hand by his side and the knife falls, clattering on the ground. Sara falls to the ground, unconscious.

Timmy can't do anything. The man waves his hand upon Timmy's face and he fall to the ground.

Lizzy shoots fire at the Faceless Face, but it dissolves into the air like it did before she burned her old neighborhood down. He, once again, waves his hand at Lizzy and her limp body falls.

The man walks slowly at me. I'm paralyzed by fear. I see his hand whizz by me and I feel my body hit the ground. The world becomes dimmer and my eyes close.