Renascence

The fire crackling is all she heard, her eyes were still shut. All she remembers was dying. At least--think I died, unless it was all a dream, she thought, opening her eyes slowly.

The first thing she saw through squinted eyes was the campfire, its warmth washing over her as she realised she wasn't dead after all. She must have fallen asleep or gotten too drunk and imagined her friends dying... and--Dwight! She shot up, kneeling beside the flames, eyes searching around her. Nicole thought she saw someone on the other side of the fire, but she must be seeing things.

Where were my friends? Was Dwight all in my head? Was he even real?

She teared up at the thought of him only being from mere imagination, his embrace, his panic, his kisses, his touch... all made up.

Nicole leaned on her knees and tried to stand, having to brace herself on the dirt. She needed to see if someone, anyone was around. Standing weakly, she made her way around the fire, not seeing anyone she shook her head in despair. There's no way I'm alone here. She could not describe the empty feeling she felt, but it terrified her.

Nearing the woods she saw no movement in the moonlight, no person, but she didn't feel alone. She walked through the forest, leaving the warm light of the fire behind her. Nicole trekked the woods for hours it seemed with no trace of a human until she saw a light through the trees.

She sprinted to the source and saw the same area she was already in. Her shoulders dropped, I went in a circle. A fucking circle. She was beyond livid--all this work, just to return to this fire. She ventured through, this time a different direction, heading straight from the fire, far from it, the only light was the moon.

Until she saw another fire, this time there was movement--a person! She darted through the trees towards the clearing and slammed into a person walking near the fire, toppling her and the person to the dirt.

"I am so sorry!" Nicole exclaimed, moving her hair out of her face, scrambling back to her feet, she extended a hand and heard someone stutter.

"N-N-Nicole?" A man said, taking her hand and lifting himself up. Nicole looked up slowly, recognising the voice as if remembering from a dream. Her body began to tremble as she remembered him. Dwight.

Nicole nearly screamed as she threw her arms around his neck, jumping into his arms, sobbing.

"Dwight! I thought yo-you were all in my head!" She cried against his neck, squeezing him against her, treasuring the moment.

"I--I saw you--d... I saw you die." Dwight said, holding her tightly against his body, also crying, she could feel him tremble.

"I'm so glad you're alive. I think I died." He pulled her away enough to see her face, he pushed her wet hair away from her eyes and wiped her cheek with his thumb.

"I c-can't believe it." Nicole choked, "Where... where are we?" She said, looking at their surroundings and back at the ever burning fire.

"I don't know." Dwight said, staring into the flames.