Chapter three

The duo walked at a brisk pace into the forest. The air nipped at their skin, and a light breeze left a chill feeling. Saku shuddered as the wind ruffled through his hair.
Autumn was well underway, and the trees were showing it. The red and yellow leaves glistened like fire. Some leaves fell from their trees, twirling the whole way to the ground. The wind whistled through the branches, causing the trees to sway.
          As the two walked through the forest, Saku slowly fell behind Lorrence. His mind would wander, and he had a habit of stopping to take in natures beauty. Lorrence would stop and wait for Saku to catch up. He was glad Saku enjoyed being outside, for he would have to be out there a lot to succeed Lorrence.
          The two slowed their pace as they approached the great mother tree. Her branches shook as the wind rustled through them, leaves slowly falling to the ground. The pair lightly stepped near the tree, and Lorrence bent down. He smiled and slowly cleared a small space at the base of the tree. A small cluster of roots that had been pulled open was there.
          "Saku, come closer. I want to show you something," Lorrence whispered. Saku slowly crept forward, for he didn't want to disturb the tree. He leaned closer, and looked within the roots.
           "I don't see anything gramps," Saku said, confused at what he was looking at. Lorrence chuckled.
          "That's the same cluster of roots you were born from, Saku," Lorrence told.
          "What?! How is that possible?!" Saku exclaimed. He pulled himself closer to the roots, and put his hand inside.
          "It's such a small hole! How could anyone possible fit inside?"
          "I told you I would explain things eventually. I planned on waiting until you were older, but I realized that I must start teaching you now," Lorrence explained. Saku nodded.
          "What are you gonna teach me?" Saku asked.
          "The art of gardening. This is an ancient ritual used to grow humanoid beings of nature. That's how you were created Saku. I grew you," Lorrence said. Saku blinked, not fully understanding what Lorrence had said.
          "But how is that possible?" Saku asked.
          "It's one of the many miracles that is in nature. It's the miracle of life. All the trees and plants around you are alive, just like you and me. Humans began growing human like beings from nature as a way to say that people and nature coexist as one. We need nature to survive, and we can thrive from the many wonders it has to offer. This great mother tree before us helps give energy to the nature spirits I grow," Lorrence explained. Saku blinked and stared at the great mother tree. He slowly crept forward and placed his hands on the trees massive trunk. Saku felt an instant connection with the tree as his hands rubbed against the cool, tough bark.
          "Is that why you said my mother was always close by? Is this actually my mother?" Saku asked, remembering what Lorrence had once told him.
          "When you were created, I had to harvest you from this cluster of roots. It had been a very long and hard process. The cluster was small and had been difficult to grow. I wasn't sure if you would survive. But you did, and I believe the great mother tree gave you the strength to push forward," Lorrence said. "You are strong Saku, and very intelligent. I knew this 5 years ago when I first scooped you into my arms, and looked into your eyes. You are connected on a deeper level with nature as well. That's why I feel that it will be easy to teach you."
          "Am I the only tree you've grown?" Saku questioned.
          "No, I grew up helping my father grow many beings. He taught me at an early age, and I had an extreme interest in gardening. I took up the art after he passed."
          "Passed? Saku asked. Lorrence looked away.
          "He's gone Saku. He died, due to an accident," Lorrence mumbled, struggling to speak. He looked back at Saku and stared into his bright eyes. Saku reached over and poked at Lorrence's hand.
          "So when will you start teaching me? And can I meet some of the other people you've grown?" Saku asked. Lorrence nodded.
         "We can begin tomorrow. And I'm sure you'll meet many of the beings I've grown, although some remained in the original forest that they were grown in," Lorrence told. "It will take some time to learn, but over time, it will become easier and easier. And I'll be there to help you through, and I'm sure the other beings will gladly help too." Saku smiled and bounced up and down.
          The autumn breeze rustled through the leaves. Saku looked up at the yellow and red colors that moved so gracefully as the wind blew. He was eager to begin learning, and he knew things would become different. After all, autumn is the season of change.