On the Road with One Direction

Cedar Rapids, Iowa.  A Midwestern state, a semi-large city, surrounded by tiny towns that you only heard of if you lived here.  Plenty of people but nothing to do.  Unless you go to a dirt track race or demolition derby in a farm field.  Even that is a bunch of old rednecks with nothing better to do.  We never had big events for teens to go to.  All it took was one contest, and my life changed, forever.

There was a contest online that my best friend Makenzie and I stumbled over looking for the One Direction What Makes You Beautiful music video.  If you wrote an  essay on why you love One Direction, you could win a concert for your town to kick off their American tour.  "Allie, you are a great writer.  You have to enter.  If you don't win it's no big deal.  But think if you do.  We could meet them, hang out with them, that's our dream.  Please?" Makenzie begged me.

Makenzie was a true directioner.  Any question you asked, she could answer in less than five seconds. We both loved them.  It would be amazing if we had a concert here.  We have an arena, but its kinda small.  But how many people would really come anyways?  We are a small town. "When is the deadline?  If it isn't passed I'll do it.  But only if you help me," I answered, a little bit reluctantly.

"It says the deadline is tommrow night.  It's Saturday, se we can spend all day today and tommrow working.  What should we say?" she answered. 

"Well let's start with why we think we need a concert here.  We are a small town and it would attract people.  Then reasons we like them.  Voices, looks, personalities, etc." I answered as Makenzie took notes.  The rules stated that we had to heve at least two pages.  That would be easy. Writing it would be easy.  The hard part will be getting selected.

It didn't take us very long before we were done.  Now  we were just editing it.  This is the hardest part, because we were super tired.  We decided to go to bed and finish and send it in the morning. I felt pretty good about our essay.  It sounded pretty good.  We didn't sound like freaky obsessed people that spent all their tim thinking about them, but like normal people that loved One Direction.

In the morning we finished the loiite details and sent it in.  Now we just had to wait about a week to get results e-mailed to us.  The week went by super slow.  Makenzie called every night to make me check my inbox.  Sometimes two or three times a day.  Then Saturday came.  When I checked, I had one new mail from the website.