third quarter

2010

Lisa's POV

"Come on, Lisa! Get a move on it! Coach Wilson yells, as I run around the track.

I'm tired. We've done like seven laps, and we did the same thing yesterday. I knew college basketball would require more work, but not all of this.

"Point guards lead from the front, not the back." She yells, and gives me a knowing look.

I sigh, and push myself to run even faster.

*

I run over to guard the ball, and number nine pushes me to the ground.

"Oh, come on! Get up! Do you need a band aid?" Someone laughs at me.

"We need to call mommy?" Somebody else asks.

"Lisa, can you not take a little charge?" Coach asks, rubs the back of her neck, nervously.

"Yeah, yeah Coach, I can take it." I say reassuringly, and help myself up.

*

"Move your feet! That's it!" Coach yells, as we practice our defense.

"Lisa! Get lower. Move your feet! Get lower!" She yells at me repeatedly.

"This, is lower." She says, and does the exact same thing I just did.

"Offense sells tickets, defense wins games." She says, and walks away from me.

*

"You think coach hates me?" I ask Kim, as she helps me bench.

"It's nothing personal. She hates all freshman that come along." She answers.

"Yo, I don't want you to think that because we play the same position, that we have to be enemies and compete with each other. We're teammates ight?" She looks down at me.

"Yeah." I smile.

"Besides, I've been starting point for two years, and I damn sure am not about to lose that to some weak ass fresh meat." She drops the bench in chest, and walks away.

"Ah, shit!" I exclaim, and struggle to pick it up.

"You good, fresh meat." Tina says, and helps me up.

"Yeah." I say, and walk out the gym.

*

Brandon's POV

"So how'd you do on that thing for Econ?" Lisa asks me as we walk across campus.

"You know, basically I'm gonna be making bank when I get into the NBA, cause everybody is gonna want me." I brag.

"Shut up, doofus." She rolls her eyes, and smiles.

"Hey, B!" Two girls walk up to us. "You ready to take us to the championship?"

"You know it." I reply.

"I'll be rooting for you." One of them says, as they begin to walk away.

"I hope so." I say, and walk down the stairs.

I stop as I realize Lisa isn't following me anymore. "What?"

"Um, I was standing right here." She frowns at me.

"I was just being cool to a fan." I say.

"Whatever." She rolls her eyes, and walks the opposite direction.