Chapter 12

Ryson pov

A week had passed since Isabelle's arrival and I still hadn't gotten my hands on that dog. Blair and Isabelle had been getting closer, but gaining her trust would still take time. Honestly, the only ones she really trusted was Baxter and Luke, maybe she had once trusted me, but I broke that trust when I insulted scavengers. I didn't regret that... She didn't need to trust me, I was just here for examining the dog... if we ever got it away from her. But I hadn't just been wasting my time in the past week, oh no... I'd done analysis, and if I could just harvest some of the dogs blood, I'd have plenty of sample to work with.

I was in the lab all day, and it was nearing sunset when Blair entered, carrying a plate of steaming meat and beans. She set it before me and glared at me. "It's been a week, Ryson. I'm tired of waiting to be immortal."

"Are you honestly blaming me?" I spat. "You're the one failing here. Why haven't you gained her trust?"

She whimpered. "I don't know...! Besides, it's hard to be nice to her. She and Luke have been looking at each other more often. It's killing me, I swear to God if she lays a hand on him-"

"Did I ask about your relationship status?" I growled. "Just get that dog. I don't care if you have to kill her to get it."

A sudden realization came to her face. "You know... I could just take the dog while she's sleeping, she hasn't been able to move around much since she broke her ankle. I still don't know how you could hurt yourself so bad falling down a couple of stairs."

I chuckled. "It's not a bad idea, but you'd have to drug the animal so it doesn't struggle."

"Me?" She raised her eyebrows. "Do you think I'm here to do the dirty work?"

I shrugged. "Yeah."

She walked over to me and trailed her finger along my cheek. "Mm... no. I refuse to get my hands dirty with this job."

"Really? Before you came to us, it seems you did a lot of dirty work." I hissed.

She grabbed the collar of my lab coat, pulling me so our foreheads touched. "You're right, I did." My face remained stone. She whispered teasingly, "You're cute when you're mad."

"Get off me." I snarled.

She backed away, pouting. "Fine. But I'm not drugging that dog, or killing anyone."

My eyes skimmed her as she sauntered out of the room, I felt a little disappointed at the lost opportunity, but I reminded myself we were coworkers, and I didn't need another distraction. I turned back to my work, determined to succeed.

Baxter pov

"Swing... good, dodge! Perfect." Isabelle commanded Luke.

He gasped for breath, flailing his staff with power but total inaccuracy. Meanwhile, Isabelle hadn't even broken a sweat. She blocked every swing and got in a few hits to Luke's gut.

Luke collapsed, holding up a hand. "It's no use... I'm no good at this. I'd take a gun over a staff any day."

"Oh come on..." Isabelle laughed, pulling him to his feet. "You're almost there."

I pushed off the wall, coming between them. "You're a good trainer, Isabelle. But we should continue with the physical combate. I want you to fight Luke, I think he could give you some pointers."

As I stepped away, she and Luke squared up and began to fight. Their bodies were a whirl of motion, she punched, he blocked. He hit, she sidestepped and recovered. After 10 minutes, I called them to stop, obviously at a stalemate.

But they ignored me, continuing to fight.

I felt a gasp to my left and turned to find Blair. She covered her mouth and cried, "Baxter! They won't stop, do something."

"No." I shrugged. "I'll let them fight until one wins."

We watched as Isabelle got more and more exhausted, turning totally to defence while Luke launched a barrage of fists. Finally he pinned her against the wall, both exhausted. She panted and collapsed, he caught her and propped her against the wall.

"Sorry... I guess I got caught up." He frowned.

Blair rushed to him, wrapping her arms around his neck and kissing him, but he looked concerned, ever so slightly pushing Blair away. I saw the look of horror and rejection on her face.

I crouched next to Isabelle, who blinked and smiled. "How'd I do? I mean... until I lost."

"You were amazing." Luke chuckled, returning her smile.

Blair grabbed his hand and touched his lip. "Luke, she caught your lip. Let me clean it."

"Right." He wrapped one arm around Blair's waist. "Baxter, I'll work with you tonight."

They left, talking in hushed voices.

I turned back to Isabelle who watched them go. She sighed and struggled to her feet, a bitter look coming into her face. "Thanks for the lesson."

"Of course. I hope you're feeling... more at home?" I prompted.

She glanced at me, as if actually looking at me for the first time. "You know... I am. Thank you so much for taking me in, I would've died if it weren't for you."

"And you've made so much progress in your fighting." He noted.

"Yeah, and look at this!" She slightly lifted her shirt, showing me her abdomen. "You can't see my ribs anymore."

I laughed, holding out my hand for a shake, but she walked towards me and gave me a hug, smiling up at me. She had been smiling a lot recently, like she was starting a new family. From the glimpses of her past she'd given me, I knew she'd had several loved ones die in her life before. We must've been her 3rd "family".

I watched her skip off with her dog, and I began to wonder if she was ready for her first mission. She was the best fighter next to Luke and myself, and I was excited to see her in action. If she was willing to fight scavengers, then she would be a most valuable asset of the team.

She reminded me of a strong headed woman of known once... one I'd known very well.