NINE

Rebecca's POV

Parent teacher conferences were today, one of my most dreaded days to have to attend.

As I waited outside the auditorium for my mom to arrive, I watched as other people were in line to talk to teachers.

"Dude, fucking Ms. Janice." Someone said behind me.

"Oh, how'd it go Monica?" I ask as she smiles at me excitedly.

"So good. She actually said great stuff about me this time, like I wanted to cry because I'm just so proud of myself." Monica made a fake crying face.

"Me too," I hug her. "Let's just hope that she says good stuff about me too."

"I'm sure she will. When does she not?"

That was true. One of my strong points in school was my ability at English, which I had to take advantage of because I wasn't so great at everything else. My love for reading and writing contributed to that ability.

"Hey, Rebecca." Someone says behind me. Monica and I both turn around startled.

Shawn.

Who was that woman with him?

A woman with brown chestnut hair and sparkling hazel eyes similar to Shawn's stood by him, smiling directly at me.

"Hey, Shawn." I smile back at both of them.

"I'll see you inside?" He asks walking backwards towards the auditorium entrance slowly.

"Yeah, see you." I smile shyly, the woman walking with him eyeing me with interest.

"C'mon, mom." Shawn guides his hand on the small of her back, as he was slightly taller than her.

Oh.

I look back at the back of them, and they both look back at me, smiling. Shawn whispers something to her and gestures to the back of him...towards my direction.

"Are they talking about you?" Monica asks me, squinting her eyes.

I fluster a deep crimson and look away. "It doesn't matter."

"Yes it does. He's telling his mom about you? That definitely means something." Monica shakes her head, crosses her arms, and look at the direction Shawn and his mother went in.

"Look, don't jump to-

"Don't jump to what?" We hear a voice behind us. I suddenly realize that voice and quickly pull my uniform skirt a little more down.

"Hey, mom." I turn around nervously. She eyes my suspiciously, but still smiles brightly at Monica.

"Hey Monica, sweetie, how are you?"

Monica smiles nervously and nods humbly. She quickly eyes me nervously and I quickly guide my mom back to the auditorium entrance.

"What were you guys talking about?" My mom asks me.

"Nothing."

"No, there was something."

"No, it was just a joke or something, nothing serious."

"Is there something wrong? Did you do something bad? Wow, Rebecca in the beginning of the year?"

Oh
My-

"Mom there's nothing wrong!" I stop and yell at her. My mom eyes me sternly, and ignores me and walks over to wait in the line of my humanities teacher, which was Shawn's phycology teacher. As we waited in line sitting on the waiting chairs, a familiar lady takes a seat next to my mom.