Introduction

'Absolution' by Patrick Flanery. The little demon of a book that I had to read as my setwork for my final year of high school. I don't think there was one person in my grade of 160 students who really enjoyed this book. But we suffered though it because we had to (most of us never actually getting through the whole story) and then we were done with it. I kind of wanted to burn the entire thing and all of my study notes and essay drafts but I'm really not a destructive person, and it would be bad for the environment.

So I decided to recycle. Not the paper but the words. I've seen this method of Blackout Poetry on the internet so I tried to use it to redeem or absolve (haha get it?) this terrible piece of literature. For anyone who isn't familiar with blackout poetry, you'll probably figure it out pretty soon but basically I took a marker and I blacked out the words I didn't want to make something new. The contents of the novel were pretty bleak so a lot of the poems are too, but I found ways to make it a little more fun, at times just deciding to draw pictures instead.

I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I've enjoyed the therapy of vandalizing something so ugly in order to make it (hopefully) beautiful. Let me know what you think :)