Part five

Chapter 17

In my mind, I felt useless. I felt like I was unworthy of the amazing stroke of luck I had finding the only people who knew me.

I felt like I let her down. I felt like I could have done so much more for her if I wasn't so passive to let her leave. But in all honesty I felt stupid, the signs were all around me and it was easy to spot that she was abused in the realtionship.

Of course I wanted to save her. She was my only friend asides from Lucy, she was the only one who extend her hand to me when I needed it the most
She is someone I look up to.

"It's not fair!" Lucy said one lunch.

I fell silent but listen to her

"She has a rough enough life to deal with, let alone that douchebag to hurt her. She's fragile, she makes me seem like a rock compared to clay. She is so worried about making everyone happy just so she can forget her own pain. In a way she's like you Kalub."

"Like me?" I said slightly confused. She was outgoing and couragous and I was lanky, and deathly quiet.

"She focuses on other people before herself. You do the same"

"Honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about. I am more of a recluse than anything. She is nothing like me"

She turned her head
"Then why did you stand up for her?"

Danm.

"Uhh. I don't know why. I just did. Truth be told, he has gotten on my nerves for a bit."

She looked at me funny
"Drake can do that to you."
She took the toothpick out of the schools dry sandwich and fiddled with it in her mouth.

"What? You don't believe me?"

She smiled

"I believe you. I just don't believe it's man nature to say you don't protect someone because you don't care."

"I fight for her because she can't defend herself! I would take a punch for her any day! Hell, I would take a bullet if I had the chance."
Again. She gave me that look

"I am not in love with her... Well I like her... Not that way! But she's cute... I-in a good way."

She giggled.
"Face it, you like her don't you?"

I scoffed putting my nose high in the air like a rich guy does to caviar.

"Since when did you become an expert in guy phycology?"

Since I saw your pants snake stand on edge when sh-

I shushed her and again she laughed.

I tried to hide it, but I guess it was obvious

Chapter 18

I walked into the school early in the morning just to finish a small school project. As I was walking to my amazement I saw Rose. The first time in about a week

"Rose!"
She turned around and stoped then looking back and forth ran up to me
"Rose, I-"
She hugged me, crying softly into my shoulder.
"You were right." She said softly
"What do you mean?"
"He wants nothing more but my body. He just wants sex and-"

I really wanted to say "I told you so" but I could really just be there for her.

"I'm so sorry Kalub. I am so so so sorry for hurting you and Lucy. And I just want him gone. I want to stop hurting."
She looked up at me, her eyes red and puffy from crying.

"I will protect you Rose."

She leaned in and I did too, our lips pressed together In the empty hallway of the school. Her lips soft, minty, and warm. We held each other close. Never have I felt the way I did afterward. I felt like a light forwarding her through her life and I was danm happy to be that for her.