~~Diary Entry #1~~

October 5, 1760, Morning

Dear Diary,

            Good morning! I am Elizabeth Smith, mother to 4 + a husband. Today wasn't the best. Adam, my husband, and some other fellows were chopping wood to sell to some Northerners who wanted some of our wood. They were also doing it to clear some land. The thud of the trees hitting the ground woke up the whole neighborhood. My poor little Eli was crying in fear. The poor dear ran to me crying: "Momma, Momma! There gonna get me!" Eli is my youngest son, born while the war was happening. He's only 6 years old.

            Tabitha has been hanging out with the boys in the town more often. This worries me, for who knows what those boys could do to her. She mustn't act so. She is a young lady who needs to work in the house! If she doesn't learn to stop rolling in the dust and be a lady, then who knows what those British officers will do to her. But, I do hope Cyrus reminds her she mustn't go with him and the other boys.

            At least Rufus has been behaving better than his siblings. He is such a wonderful role model, I wonder how his sister and Cyrus caught their trouble making attitudes. My dear husband has been working himself too hard. Oh how glad I am that Rufus has been helping out his Pa. He will be an outstanding man when he grows up.