Familiar faces

My first thought when I entered the place was 'I really don't belong here.'

The place was filled with important people in ridiculously expensive costumes, probably all custom made for this occasion. Everyone was also wearing masks, since it was a mascaraed. I was leaning against the wall in a corner waiting for Krista to find me. The others who were suppose to be hiding somewhere around, still weren't in place. So I was alone in enemy territory. I did have an earpiece on but it was still disconnected. So yeah. Definitely alone and defenseless. The one positive thing about all of this? The dress. Nanaba had made an incredible job. As promised it was all black and late eighteenth century styled. Which meant the dress was going all the way down to my feet. It was short sleeves and decorated with black butterflies and nice leaf and flower designs. Discreet, yet gorgeous. Mikasa then had tied my hair into a nice bun, decorated with small black flower clips. Krista had lend me a golden necklace and a pair of matching earrings . And of course, I had a mask. Butterfly shaped, black with golden designs and fake feathers sticking out of it. Thank heaven the shoes she'd picked didn't have too high heels. The others were hidden inside trucks outside the castle gate with the computer to activate the program. So I stood there, watching the people filling the beautiful grand hall.

'I really don't belong here.' I thought again letting out a sigh. 

It made me wonder how I would have lived in this time period. Who was I kidding? I would have been married of to some random guy that my parents would have chosen for me, what else? I looked at the people here, wondering if they brought their kids to stuff like that. I sighed, once more.

"Wake up, kid. You're on duty." Said a cold voice in the earpiece.

I nearly jumped out of my skin and let out a small frightened sound. I looked around to see if no one had heard, before whispering. "Thanks for reminding me. I've been sitting my butt here not doing squat. Remind me what I'm suppose to do again until they remove their masks? That's right, nothing!" I whispered loud enough for them to hear.

"You're suppose to act natural kid. In these kinds of place, the ones who don't socialize stand out. So do something."

"Like what, go talk to some random people?"

"That's the whole point. Move your ass."

"I will make you pay for this." I muttered in between my teeth.

I started glancing  around for a target. Except everyone looked like they were already in the middle of conversations. "Hello there." Said a voice behind me.

A men that seemed to be in his mid-twenties (and of course dressed for the event) had tapped my shoulder and was smiling at me. He wasn't very tall and I could see that he had brown spiky hair. 

"Sorry for my rudeness, milady." He said bowing and playing the gentleman. "Would you offer me your name?" He took my hand and planted a kiss on the back of it. I smiled awkwardly as I answered.

"Isn't the whole point, not to tell?"