Run

Ellis' POV

Nick had let go of my hand and pulled the M-16 he spoke of earlier off his back. The shrill of at least a hundred infected grew louder as the came nearer towards us. I practically tore my pistols out of the holsters and pointed them at arm's length in front of me. Nick and I exchanged fearful looks, but both pretended we were strong; for each other. Like a reassurance method or something.

"Goddamn, that's a lot of zombies..." I heard Nick mumble under his breath. I was thinking the exact same thing.

A spray of bullets flew throughout the humid air, dropping infected one by one. They were dying faster than cells in the human body, but no matter how many we killed, they kept on coming. It felt like they would just get back up, move to the back of the line, and attack again.

My eyes darted all over the place, and I spotted a hunter slowly creeping up on Nick.

"NICK, WATCH OUT!" I called out, running at the demon-like being and kicking it in the chest to get it away from him, and then shooting at it as rapidly as I could. Nick turned around wide-eyed and watching as I obliterated the hellspawn that tried to harm him. I noticed after I'd killed the hunter, the amount of infected had also started to decrease. It was strange, but I didn't question it.

"Ellis, run!" Nick yelled to me, and we ran through the miniature wave of the remaining infected towards a gas station with a metal door. It wasn't a safe house, but it'd keep us protected from the infected for a while. It was unbelievable how many scratches, punches, and bites I dodged whilst sprinting right in the middle of the horde.

Running inside we slammed the door shut behind us, leaning up against it. The dead weren't far behind us and had too soon made their way to the door. They banged on it like maniacs, and it rumbled us every time they'd hit it.

"I thought they were gone!" Nick exclaimed quietly, in hopes of not startling any other idle undead monsters. I pressed my finger to his lips, trying to keep him quiet. He scrunched his face up but didn't say anything.

We waited for what felt like hours, but was most likely only about 15 minutes, for the banging to stop. I slumped down and sat on the floor, completely exhausted. Nick crouched down and sat with me as well. We smiled at one another, still staying quiet in case there were still a few lingering zombies outside. He was breathing heavy, probably tired as well. The past few days hadn't been very good on us, with searching for our last safe house which took well over two days, losing Coach, and trying to gather up the courage to get back out here was draining the very life from us.

Resting my pistols next to me, I took off my hat and rested it in my lap. I ran my fingers through my hair which had noticeably grown since the start of the apocalypse. My curls had more volume than I remember and I could see them bordering my face a bit. It wasn't a bad thing, I mean I'd had hair this long before and it looked pretty good, so I didn't really worry about it. Everything was changing. It felt weird.

Nick's POV

I noticed Ellis had taken his hat off, showing off his soft looking curls that defined the outer contours of his face. The light brown seemed to be a little lighter, and his eyes were a bit darker underneath the slight shadow they cast into his face.

"Do ya think we made it any closer to the safe house, Nick?" Ellis asked a subtly worried look was sprawled across his face.

"I don't think so... We're not even that far from our previous one." I replied, my head falling back and resting on the door. "I think we should wait at least an hour or so before we continue. For our safety, y'know?" His eyes found their way to the floor and stayed stationary there for a bit.

"I get it. In an hour we'll leave." Ellis' words were shaky, and his voice was trembling. He was nervous, and I couldn't blame him; I was, too.

Word count: 736

Word count including all this: 741