Thoughts

AN: this whole chapter is based on thoughts that happen during travel and a little Bit of horde tackling. Although it's kinda odd, I've had a request to put this chapter in Nina's perspective, which I thought was brilliant! Enjoy! ❤️

Nina's POV

The guys walked up ahead of me. They sure did look happy together. I couldn't help but smile when Ellis would pull in closer and take his hand, or when Nick would place his arm around him... So cute!

Everything was different. It wasn't bad technically, but really different. I kinda just wanted to go back to school and live my normal life. I wanted to see my parents, friends, teachers, and my sister. Deep down I knew I'd never see them again. Marlene and everyone were probably dead or infected by now. I hated this stupid apocalypse; it took everything from me, everything I loved and cherished! Not like there was anything I could do about it.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Ellis and Nick had stopped. Nick gestured to be quiet, and I tightened the grip on my axe, wielding it so the head was level with mine. We walked up to what looked like a small store and took a peek inside. It was dark... Which was incredibly unusual, considering that there were windows scattered across the place. A small light flickered in the back, and I went to go scope it out. Separating wasn't the most clever thing, but my curiosity got to me. What if it was a survivor?

Taking weary steps, watching all angles around me, I made my way into the room where the light was. I pushed the heavy door. Nothing. Just a flickering light. It was a bathroom, with three stalls in the back. There was no sign in the front, so I assumed it was unisex (not that it mattered, it was a zombie apocalypse for goodness sakes.)

Still being cautious, I walked over to one of the mirrors by the sink. It was cracked and broken, missing pieces and smears with blood and dirt. My appearance looked very dead. I was pale, and the mirror's condition didn't help either. Pressing my fingers up against the glass, I touched the cracks. I felt a shard poke me, and I audibly grunted. Not expecting it, I got a response.

There was a loud gurgle. I froze, not moving a muscle. I was shaking with fear but trying so hard not to whimper or cry out. Out of curiosity, I glanced around the corner. There was a pair of thick legs, that appeared frail and decayed.

"Hello?" I breathed deep, barely making a noise. The thing groaned loud, banging on the door. Panicked, I tried to escape. The door wouldn't open. The creature's banging got harder and harder. I wanted to scream, but couldn't. I tugged and pulled the door. There was no use. I was a goner.

The thing burst through the stall door. It was very large, with boils and tumours covering its skin. I watched in horror as it ambled its way near. I held my axe in front of me, pressing my back against the door. When it was about a yard away, I gave in and swung as hard as I could. It sliced in half, splashing a thick green liquid all over me. It was revolting and smelled vaguely like decomposed flesh and the dead. Pulling the door behind me open I scattered towards what I thought was Nick and Ellis. They looked kind of blurry, and I in shock. The two exchanged scared glances.

"Nina. Hide." Nick ordered. Confused, I did so, taking refuge behind a large freezer and a shelf. My heart was racing, I had no clue what was going on. The deafening howl screeched loudly, signalling a horde was coming.

"Oh no..." I thought to myself, "what have I done?" Switching my axe to my pistol, I watched as the two kept cover at the front of the store. Tears of hysteria streamed down my face. I was terrified, nearly blind, smelled like stomach acids and rotten organs, and a target for infected. I could see blonde hairs stuck in the goo on my face. Desperately trying to pull them away, I slung my hair back into a ponytail.