OLIM/THE BELLS OF NOTRE DAME

{ officially edited }

" Olim Olim de un sacrebella, al sendum sa ce le boo

Olim sacrebella all secru ce secre bu, Olim "

Morning in Paris, the new day awakes to the bells of Notre Dame

Morning in Paris, the new day awakes to the bells of Notre Dame. The average fisherman fishes and the baker man bakes. People in cloaks move around, seem to be moving to the beat of the bells. Long years ago did this story begin in this place called Notre Dame. Two young and happy orphan brothers were both taken in by the grace of Notre Dame. Martin Brenner, tall and grey haired, who cared for his brother and young Hopper, muscular and doe eyed, who was adventuresome and would have none of Notre Dame. And they lived and they grew and awoke to the music of bells.

"Oh dear brother, we are blessed to have our sanctuary and our home." spoke Brenner one day, while admiring the surroundings around him, but Hopper wasn't listening, too busy thinking about wine and grapes. "I believe this blessing came as a curse to us." Hopper replied simply. "But we must put this behind us. Today is your birthday, and I have brought you a gift."

A beautiful girl takes off her cloak, her red hair flowing freely down her shoulders. Joyce Byers. "A gypsy? In this holy refuge? How dare you, Hopper." Brenner angrily said, and Joyce stepped forward. "Come on, I know you want it. I can see the way you look at me." She said seductively. Brenner shoved her away. A man walks toward their door, it slams. "Help me hide her from father. I'll have her out by morning. Forgive me, brother." Hopper begged, trying to find a place to hide Joyce. Their adoptive father, Lonnie steps inside. "What is going on here?" He asked questioningly, looking around the holy grounds.

"You want to tell him or me?" Seeing as Hopper hadn't answered him, Brenner pushed Joyce out in front of Lonnie. Lonnie gasped and looked at the gypsy in front of him. "You must leave, Hopper. This holy refuge where you lived will be yours no more." He said madly. "But father please!" Brenner begged, immediately regretting his decision to rat out on his dear brother. "I'm sorry, Martin. But your brother is expelled." Lonnie finished and left. "Hopper... I'm so sorry... I-I-" Brenner started but Hopper shook his head sighing. "What did you think he'd do? Who do you think these people are?" Hopper questioned and turned, helping up Joyce.
And so Hopper
And the girl.
Left.

And Brenner didn't see his brother for a long time.

Meanwhile..

Brenner descended uncommonly fast through the ranks of Notre Dame. Till he was named the arch decan at last and gave thanks to Notre Dame. But then one doleful day brought a message, and the name that it bore was Hopper. And getting dressed, Brenner went away.
Away from Notre Dame.

Brenner knocked on the door of a small tavern. A woman, a gypsy opened it. "Hello?" She asked, looking Brenner up and down suspiciously. He noticed this, "I'm here for Hopper Brenner, my brother." He reassured, but noted to come back and dispose of these gypsy whores later.

Brenner gasped when he saw the state that Hopper was in. He was laying down and clutching his stomach in pain. "Hop? Oh my sweet brother how have you been?" Brenner asked and ran forward to hug his brother. "Well my brother, actually fine. I was travelling the world. With my beautiful Joyce." Hopper replied simply, shocking Brenner. "You're still with that gypsy girl?!" Brenner questioned only to see Hopper shake his head. "She died. The Pox. It was a tragic thing to watch her suffer. " He said sadly and Brenner couldn't help but smile. "Oh Hopper, come home with me, to our sanctuary. Healing you will be my new goal. Not just your body, but also your soul!" Brenner spoke quickly, only to have Hopper shake his head. "It's too late for me. But if you finally are feeling pity at this stage, please, take my daughter. Care for her." Hopper begged, gripping Brenner's cloak. "A baby?" Brenner asked and a gypsy handed him a baby. The baby was crying, and then Brenner watched in shock as the bottle of milk lifted from the table on it's own and floated toward her. She happily grabbed it and started sucking. A drop a blood fell from the baby's nose.

"A monster." Brenner confirmed. "It's God's judgement on you." Hopper grunted and shifted. "I knew you wouldn't help her. I-I wi-" Hopper paused and died. Brenner gasped. He rushed the child back to the cathedral and went to the statue of Jesus to pray. "I understand now, this child is my cross to bear. I will not fail you. Amen."

And Brenner gave the child a name. A cruel name. An unimportant name.

"Eleven."

He had ten bells in the cathedral, this child will serve as the eleventh. She will be as useless as a bell.

Sixteen years later, a beautiful girl emerges.

She turns to the bells and uses her mind to ring them, a drop of blood falls from her nose, and people immediately look up from below Notre Dame and smile as they hear the bells bells bells bells bells bells
bells bells bells
Ah the bells of Notre Dame.

But wait, before we start our tale... I have a riddle for you,
" What makes a monster and what makes a man? "