{12}

Mi-Cha's P.O.V

As fingertips traced along the door, my heart began to thump out of my chest. The closet that both Jaemin and I managed to squeeze into was so tight that I had to be pressed up against him, along with the wall. I was sure he could hear and feel the beat of my heart.

The latched flipped, and so did my stomach. I wanted to throw up so bad.

Jaemin reached for the doorknob and twisted, but that didn't work.

"Oh God, it's locked!" I cried, feeling my eyes prickle.

"Shh," Jaemin shushed me. "Don't cry. Stay quiet, and maybe someone will walk by eventually. When we hear them coming, we'll yell for help. I don't think anyone is going to hear us if they aren't in this hallway."

My breath came out fast. "Jaemin, I don't want to die."

"I know. Me neither."

"There are so many things I never got to do." My hands traveled up to my face, wiping around my eyes to try and stop water from building up in them. I drew in a shaky breath. It started to feel hot and stuffy, being locked in the closet. Our body heat radiated off and raised the temperature. "I never got to go swimming at midnight, under the moon and stars. I never got to get accepted into University. I never even graduated. Oh, I never even got a job. If only we could escape, then I would feel even more excited to do these things I didn't seem to care about enough.

"Jaemin-ah, I never even got to ride a horse, and I love them so much. I never got to go to prom. I've never been on a date, neither will I get to." I let out a frustrated noise, realizing I couldn't hold back any crying. "I never got to experience a first kiss. There's so much left in my life, but it's all going down because we agreed to go to this ­stupid house."

I reopened the eyes I didn't even realize were closed. While they were, Jaemin had turned off his flashlight, turning the closet into complete darkness. I could feel him shifting around, and face towards me.

"Jaemin, why did you turn off the light?"

My breath caught as hands cupped my face, lining up along my jaw. I tensed at the touch, but didn't back away from it. Jaemin's feet came forward until they overlapped mine and I could feel body heat from his face as it closed in towards mine. A finger traced under my mouth and I could've sworn it created a spark big enough to light a whole matchbox inside me.

Jaemin closed in on my face slowly, making sure he would hit his target. The kiss only lasted for just a second, but it was enough to make me feel like I could melt back into the  floor. It was soft, and fair, like his actions, yet stole my breath away from me.

As if he tried to steal away my worry.

"The least I could do was cross off one of the things on your list," he said, and I could hear in his voice that there was a smile on his face. I was so tempted to lean back in and pick it back up; his face was right there, not far from mine.

However, the slight bang in the wall made all the breath he stole jump back in.

The flashlight was immediately turned back on. Taking a glance at Jaemin, the tips of his ears had turned bright red. I wouldn't be surprised if mine were just the same.

"I'm guessing you heard that too?" he asked as he looked up and down the wall behind us.

I nodded, starting to cower away from the source.

"I think something's in the wall."

Hana's P.O.V

"So," Mark started, awkwardly, "you like Jisung?"

I bit on the inside of my cheek. "Maybe."

Mark nodded, looking like he was trying to understand. "So... Out of all the guys in our grade, or even in Jisung's, you still chose him?"

"Why so judgmental?"

"Oh, no. No reason." Mark pursed his lips. "Only a little irritated by the fact that back in elementary when I confessed to you on the slide, you didn't like me back, but now we're here... You liking my awkward best friend."

I belt out a laugh through my terror, taking in old memories. "I almost forgot about that! But Mark, you're a pretty awkward person too."

"How could you almost forget?" Mark's jaw dropped. "That was a huge day for me, and you crushed it right in my face."

"We were third graders, Morkiemoo." I shook my head, still smiling from amusement. "Are you jealous?"

"Third-grade me: yes. Present me: no, I'm happy about it. Plus, Jisung doesn't have a crush on anyone, so I think you have good chances. I won't tell him. I'll leave that to you for when you're comfortable."

"I'm glad you feel that way, and thanks, I appreciate it."

"And I'm glad you guys are having a friendly bonding moment," Chenle's nervous voice spoke up, "but we should really be on the lookout for Jisung."

Our heads snapped upwards as something banged. Chenle flinched with a gasp.

"What was that?" Mark asked.

"It sounded like something was dropped upstairs," I said. "Maybe someone's in trouble... Or it's Jisung!"

"Maybe we should take a look at it?" Mark suggested.

Chenle blew air out of his mouth. "Let's do it." Then, he started up the stairs without hesitation, or even waiting on us.

Jueun's P.O.V

"Geez, I feel terrible," Johnny muttered. "It's Jisung's birthday, and now he's lost somewhere in this creepy house."

"And, you feel terrible for going off on Hyunji earlier?" I tried to add.

Johnny huffed. "Don't get me wrong, Hyunji's a sweet girl. She's nice and goes out of her way for others, but I'm already in a relationship. Plus, you know she's not my type."

I let out a small laugh. "You were still kind of harsh letting her off like that."

"When we get out, I'll apologize and we can end on a good note. Trust me when I say I truly think her future boyfriend will be a lucky guy."

My ear perked at the sound of a chuckle, and Jeno whispered to Renjun, "like Haechan."

"What?" I turned around, shining my flashlight on them.

Jeno blinked at the sudden light. "Nothing," he replied, shaking his head.

"No, you said 'like Haechan'. What's that supposed to mean?" I placed a hand on my hip.

Jeno sighed. He started to speak, but Renjun nudged him in the side, widening his eyes. "Haechan likes Hyunji," Jeno blurted out. Renjun slapped his forehead.

I stared at them in disbelief. "The air in this old house must be poisoned by all the mold that it's starting to get to our heads."

"Ah, dammit!" Johnny cursed, sucking in a breath. He slapped his hand against his arm in pain.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked.

Johnny pulled his hand away to reveal three, long marks on his bicep that had torn through his sweatshirt sleeve. Dark red blood had already begun to seep out and stain the fabric.

"How is it that in a matter of five seconds I didn't have my eyes on you, you get hurt?" I asked my older brother.

"It wasn't me!" he roared. It looked like all the color in his face had drained. "I didn't do this!"

"Then what did?"

"I don't know!"