Chapter 1

It is October 3, 2028 and my name is Joshua, but most people call me Josh. I am 17 years old and I live in the Republic of Jesus Christ. I was seven years old when the economy collapsed. Luckily, my family was wealthy so it didn’t affect us dramatically. When the communism started, it felt like we were constantly under the President’s magnifying glass. We weren’t allowed to do anything on our own. It was scary. The religion was horrible and a lie! Christians then began to worship God in secret. Then we fought back and gained our independence! My dad was 39 when he was killed in Atlanta. I was then forced to grow up and take care of my mother. We sold the mansion in Nashville and moved to Birmingham to get away from possible terrorism. It worked, and we kept our peace. It may seem easy living in the Republic, but it is scary. 

God has blessed us with many things though, like diamonds. Tuscaloosa has fully repaired itself from the tornado back in 2011. The southern diamond district makes the Republic millions of dollars a year alone. We have recently discovered more iron under Birmingham and soon will begin to mine it. Our economy challenges countries like China, but we still have our own issues. 

Today our school is taking a field trip to Montgomery, our capital. We will be touring the Tabernacle. The Tabernacle is a colossal structure shaped just like the cross that Jesus himself was crucified on. The Tabernacle is the main government building in Montgomery, besides the actual capitol building. The tabernacle is 2,500 feet tall and is the tallest structure in North America. 

“Hey Josh!” my friend Bre said as she plopped her pillow on the seat next to me on the charter bus. Bre has to be one of the most beautiful girls I have ever met. I first met her in 4th grade when she transferred from some school outside of Atlanta. I have had a huge crush on her ever since, but luckily she has no idea. 

“Sup?” I said back.

“Not much, just ready to hurry up and get there!” She said.

“But we haven’t even left yet!” I told her. 

“That’s my point! Now let me sleep!” She commanded.

“Yes ma’am.” I mumbled. Bre then rested her head on her pillow and soon began to make quiet snores every now and then. 

We were about thirty miles outside of Montgomery when I could already see the silhouette of the Tabernacle. I began to study its figure and how all of the surrounding buildings were dwarfed in comparison. 

“Hey, got any food?” Bre asked. 

“Uh yeah. There should be some pita chips in my backpack.” I replied.

“Sweetness!” she then yelled. She sorted through my stuff and found the bag of chips. Soon she began to devour each and every one of them. 

“Bre, you eat like a pregnant woman! How do you stay so skinny?” I asked.

“I run seven miles every morning.” She said as she pulled out one of my energy drinks. 

“I, Bre Langston, hereby claim this can of fizzy stuff as my own.” She then said as she began to open the can. 

“I brought four cans. Two were for you!” I said. 

“Oh, thanks!” she said.

“No problem.” I replied. 

We finally entered the city of Montgomery. The streets were packed with people. There were designer clothes on everyone! Nice cars were everywhere also. Even people’s dogs were pampered! It looked like the pre-war New York City that I had seen in books. We then drove under the midst of a huge shadow. I looked through the window on the opposite side of the bus. I could barely see the windows of the Tabernacle. Soon our driver dropped us off in front of the pavilion. As soon as I stepped onto the concrete sidewalk I could smell fresh camellia flowers. I then looked up at the Tabernacle.