3 A.M. - 4 A.M.

Theia

The blood seeps through my father's shirt and his lifeless expression denotes that I am an orphan. His eyes rest in my direction but I know he is not looking at me. I've seen too many pairs of unhinged eyes tonight. On closer inspection his face shows fear, that he was killed by surprise. My parents died within two hours of each other.

I scramble away from him but my head pounds and I only make it a few paces before I have to stop to regain my breath. I push myself up but pain prevents me so I sit against the wall, cradling my head in my hands. I take some deep breaths and remember Leda. I try to check on her but I'm too weak.

I find the strength to steady myself and push up from the floor and stumble to where Leda is. She's alive. Quiet and still, as usual, and alive. Relief passes through me. I pick her up and hold her to my chest and only then does she start to cry, as if she didn't want to be a bother before. Fortunately for her, she's too young to remember what has happened tonight, even if that means she will never know our parents.

My grandfather stares at my father, his son-in-law. I don't know where to start. By thanking him? 'Are you alright?'

'Yes, I think so,' he says. 'Are you?'

I nod. My head is sore but it's nothing when you consider bullets to the chest or a knife to the back. 'Mum's dead,' I say. I crease my eyebrows, lacking the energy to ask him anymore but he takes my cue.

'I gave your grandmother all of the pills. I didn't want to risk, well, this. Where's Ronan?'

'He's in my room, but I doubt he could sleep through that. You saved my life.' And Leda's and Ronan's I realise. I work through my father's plan. He'd kill Leda, then Ronan and me, and then himself, if he had the courage. My father hasn't had the conviction to carry through anything for years so if I wasn't disgusted with his actions I'd be impressed.

'I'm not sure you should thank me. I was on the bed, wondering what to do and I thought about slitting my wrists. I sneaked downstairs to find a knife. I didn't want to scare you or complicate things. Then I heard the commotion.'

'Good timing,' I say, not wanting to consider what would have happened had my grandfather overdosed or found another way to kill himself. He doesn't need to know about my mother, how she died, her secrets, and that she died to protect me. If he heard the accusations I told my father he doesn't mention it. 'What now?'

'I want to join my wife. It's time already.'

I panic at the thought that if my grandfather ends his life it is just me, Ronan and Leda. I've been like a parent to them but there have always been adults nearby. I'm not sure I could handle the responsibility. 'We need you.'

'Help me with this sweetheart.'

Leda stops crying. She grips one of my fingers and her clutch is tight. I could have left the gun in her bed and she might have been able to protect herself.

My grandfather is determined his time to die is overdue and I'm only delaying what's inevitable. If I don't help he will find another way to end his life. He's shown he is resourceful with the pills and now the knife, which sticks out of my father's back. He doesn't reclaim it; I'm not sure he'd want to use it on himself. My grandfather has killed two people tonight, both out of love but only one in a violent manner. I should believe all killing amounts to murder but each death I have witnessed tonight has had a different antecedent. 'What do you want me to do?'

'You have a gun. I don't think I can shoot myself. I'm not sure I could end my life.'

I listen to my grandfather's tone but am distracted by the image of him watching as my grandmother drifted into death. If this is true, he has spent hours with his dead wife, hiding from us, listening to arguments and shootings, waiting until he couldn't stand the absence of nothingness any longer.