7

It’s later the same evening and Kurt is sitting in the parking lot of a 7-Eleven, waiting for Courtney to buy dinner, which consists of cookies, fruit juice, and cigarettes.

~

As he stares out the window, a large van pulls up and a guy in full heavy-metal gear gets out. He is wearing a Nirvana T-shirt.

"Courtney," Kurt says when she returns,"that heavy-metal guy was wearing a Nirvana T-shirt."
I know, she says, munching on a cookie.
"I saw him."
There is a long pause while they ponder this reality.

~

"I’m neurotic about credibility," Courtney says finally.
"And Kurt is neurotic about it, too. He’s dealing with people who like his band who he despises.

For instance, a girl was raped in Reno. When they were raping her, they were singing Polly,a Nirvana song." Courtney pauses.
"These are the people who listen to him."

~

"But there are all kinds of fame," she continues."

And those kind of fame can really mess with your head.

Kurt laughs.
Courtney has a basic, commonsense approach to business matters that clearly appeals to him.

"Credibility is credibility," she says. "All these labels signing everything that moves because they think they can purchase credibility. They think they can market it. And I say, Let them try."

~

Kurt turns the key in the ignition. "Why do I want what I want?"
she says, although no one’s asked the question.

~

"You have to give yourself some bogus-sincere nineties little reason about what it is that’s making you go. And mine is influence."
Kurt smiles.
He knows what she’s talking about.

~

<3

<3