The Teacher Is Done

On Monday, I entered the classroom, not excited for the day ahead, especially with Laurie. I don't understand how one boy can misbehave so much, especially one in kindergarten! I often wondered how he behaves at home. Is he just as insolent at home, or is he well behaved? Dear god, I was so tired. I just wanted to lie down and sleep. Oh, how I missed the weekend!

The day went as predicted. It was a disaster. It was actually was going well until Reading Time. Laurie had an evil smirk on his face, so I was wary of what he might do. I read to the children and kept one eye on Laurie, as he was still smiling evilly. Around halfway between Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Laurie turned to the girl next to him, Katie, and whispered something in her ear. She looked revolted and started shaking her head, but he kept whispering to her. I could pick up snippets of their conversation, as kindergarteners aren't exactly the quietest people.

"I'll pay you if you say it," Laurie whispered.

"No! I saw what happened to Annabeth last week, you can't fool me." Katie muttered back. At this point I was becoming suspicious, but I ignored them.

Laurie kept annoying her, and whispering things to her. She eventually covered her ears with her hands, and Laurie stopped talking to her. He looked defeated and deep in thought, as if he was trying to make up a new way to get himself into trouble. Lo and behold, in a few minutes, he had that signature smirk on his face again. I kept reading about how Mike Teavee has been transported into a T.V. screen when Laurie raised his hand. I stopped reading and called on him. He slowly stood up.

"I want to say something." He started.

"Is it about the story?" I asked.

"Yes," he replied.

"Are you sure?" I asked. I was still suspicious of him.

"Yes," he said, exasperated. He sounded like he genuinely wanted to say something about the story.

I motioned for him to continue, and suddenly, he yelled a curse word, not once, or twice, but three times. I stared at him in shock before regaining my senses and processing what he just said. I put the book down, stood up, and walked over to him. I grabbed his ear, none too gently, and pulled him into the bathroom quietly. The other children looked on in shock as I exited the room.

"Why did you say that word?" I asked Laurie in a calm, but angry voice. I wanted to wipe the smirk that was still on his face clean off.

"I wanted to," was his reply. He still had that stupid smile on his face.

"Why Laurie? Open your mouth." I put a bar of soap in his mouth and made sure it stayed there and finally managed to wipe the smile off his face. He tried to spit the bar out, but I covered his mouth to make sure that it would stay in there. He struggled for a few minutes, trying to push the bitter substance out of his mouth and even biting my palm, but I didn't move my hand from his mouth.

After it had dissolved, I grabbed his ear again and pulled him into the classroom. I made him sit in the front of the classroom where I could watch him while I finished reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to the others. When they went out for lunch, I slipped a note into Laurie's bag for his parents, explaining what he'd done. Little did I know that he had seen me through the window and threw it behind a bush as soon as he left for home. When I found it after school that night, I decided I was too tired to deal with him, and I resolved to tell his parents at the PTA meeting. When I arrived at home, I barely made it to my bed before collapsing into a dreamless sleep.