Note IV

Note IV: Violence isn't the answer

The first time I felt anger because of her was when she told me she broke up with that son of a bitch senior. She didn't cry like that time, but she just looked empty.

"Gather around!" Announced the physics teacher. Damn did I hate her. I never got an understanding of the physics subject whenever she teachers.

"We're going to the hall!"

Because we were in different classes, Arya was walking with Jason, her childhood friend. Jason looked severely worried of his childhood friend, while Arya never smiled, not even once. I never really knew why she broke up with him. When we finished attending ceremony, I bumped into Jason Lu. Jason smiled and waved his hand.

"Rarhys?" He said.

I nodded, "Lu."

"Oh come on, we're already on first name basis," he laughed heartily. He was a really kind person. "d'you have class?"

I shook my head, "not really. I have one free period."

"What about going to the basketball court with me? I'm doing community service. We could talk and catch up there." Jason offered. I thought about it. Talking with him wouldn't hurt. He was a really popular guy, just like me. Nobragging, but I was really popular.

When we arrived, Jason immediately cleaned up the whole court. He was really quick. He shot the basketballs in their place and gathered the (lost) soccer balls. As soon as we finished, he picked up a ball. "Rhys, let's play,shall we?" He grinned, dribbling the ball. I was surprised but agreed nevertheless.

"Hey," I started. He threw the ball at me with questioning look. I received the ball and dared myself to ask. "Is Arya fine?" 

For a second he was taken aback, but he grinned. "Ooh! Worried, are we?"

My cheeks turned red crimson and I denied, "What do you mean?"

"Heheh. Just kidding. Anyways," Jason accepted the ball I gave him and made a three point shoot, "she isn't."

My heart stopped hearing those two words. "She isn't?" I took the ball from under the ring and dribbled, biting my lower lips. "I—"

"She is in love with that Regann." Jason sighed, beckoning me to shoot. But hearing his words caused something in my stomach. Like my stomach acid crawling to get out. "I know she is, even though she told me she isn't."

"Why'd she go out with him?" I couldn't help but sense the animosity in my words. Bitter. "Regann—he's a player in school. Everybody and their goldfish know. Why'd she agree to date him?"

"Regann-sunbae is charming," Jason shrugged. I shot the ball, aiming for the ring but I missed. "He's in the orchestra too. But Arya isn't that type of girl who will swing for flowers and sweet nothings. I think, a part of it was my fault," he took a deep breath, walking towards the edge of the court to get the ball. "I joined the student council and our time together decreasedintensely. She's always with me and suddenly she isn't. That was when she found Regann-sunbae. She felt lonely, and he was there...so..." Jason left his words hanging.

"But I was there," I argued.

Jason rolled his eyes, "you were never there for her, Rhys. Did you know that she..." Jason stopped at his tracks and shook his head. "Never mind."

I was curious with his words.

"I loathe him." Jason stated, bending his knee. "Because he called Arya 'just another slutty whore." And he shot the ball inside the ring.

My blood boiled for some reason, and I didn't know why.