Chapter One ~ Father Shares the Family Secrets:

¹Shattering glass. Upstairs, a deep voice yelled, muffled by thick walls. Reine froze, but did not look up from her rice pudding. 'I don't even care what the drama is about today,' her thought continued, 'I just hope it doesn't involve me...' She tried to focus instead on keeping breakfast off her school uniform, a white button up blouse and a long blue skirt.

Reine Zoe Xavior and Mrs. Roslyn, her nanny, sat quietly at the table. Reine was a little over four feet tall and her red hair was cut short like a boy. She cast her eyes down and stared at the table, while Mrs. Roslyn sniffed disapprovingly as she scanned the news from her communication device; which sat on the table projecting a holo-screen to display articles and videos.

A slam upstairs startled them once more. Footsteps pounded down the steps, the sound of small feet pattered across the entry hall's wooden floors accompanied by a girly whine, and the front door opened; then slammed shut, rattling the wall. 'Another prostitute,' Reine grumbled in her head, 'at least father speaks to them. Just not to me.'

Slower, heavier steps followed down the stairs, and the little girl steaded her trembling hand. Reine's father entered, as she and her governess looked up at him. Zaül was nearly six foot tall, already drinking again today, and his muscular build dominated the room. He stammered and looked down at Reine with his crimson eyes as he inquired.

"Why the hell you up so early, git?"

'Why does he always call me that! I hate it so much... I have a name,' she thought in frustration. His black beard and hair were overgrown and unkempt. Reine did not speak, as she looked up at him with anger like fire in her emerald eyes. The older woman was well over five foot tall with black hair; which, had gray hairs in it, while her eyes were brown and skin was a sand-like color. Mrs. Roslyn responded for his daughter.

"Reine has been attending school every morning for a few years now. There is some food on the stove for you too, if you want it."

Her father grunted as he slapped her across the cheek, and she fell from her chair. She looked back at him with tears and hatred in her eyes. She attended a special private school ever since she was four years old; while she did not meet any other children at the school, she learned a lot and very quickly. He asked another question and scolded her.

"Answer me when I speak to you, stupid! How old are you now, git?"

Reine hesitated unsure of how to react, as she thought, 'this is the first time my father has shown any interest in me.' Her father became impatient and let a growl escape, as he tucked his thumb in the belt beside the attached holstered plasma-bolt pistol. His little girl flinched and scrambled to the corner of the kitchen.

"S-s-seven to-today, Dad..." Reine stuttered through the panic.

Zaül's expression changed and he sobered up a little, as he set down his bottle of spiced rum on the table. He sat down and looked at the woman he paid to raise his daughter; he grimaced, as he saw the look of disappointment there. He waved Reine back to the table.

"How is she in school?" he asked Mrs. Roslyn.

"She is doing above average. Her teachers say she is far ahead of her class in problem solving, puzzles, reading, math, and technology. They even say she is a prodigy - however, they say she lacks communication, language, and social skills. I wonder why... I have a name just like you do..."

His little girl slowly started to get up and made her way back to the table, as the woman spoke with him. She thought, 'I'm still hungry and it seems to be safer...' Zaül grunted and looked back at her, before he picked his bottle back up and took another swig of rum. He ordered the woman, as his gaze went soft.