Canoe in a Storm

The crowded, noisy dockyard smelling like rotten fish was a blessing compared to the sickening boat ride that we had just endured; quickly we anchored our boat and unboarded. We had got into this little canoe, the three of us, which was dirty and stunk like rum, to cross the sea. If the crippling fear of riding a hollow piece of wood was not enough, we were drawn straight into a storm! let me start from the beginning.

After our final examinations were over, Moriko, Lucas and I decided to take an adventurous journey during our long holidays. It was my first time touring without my parents- of course, they were overprotective and did not want me to go, but I was seventeen then and would not sot at home throughout the holidays anymore. Whether it was my inner strive to find freedom or I just wanted to show my parents that I was capable, I don't know; I went anyways. 

Using the money I had saved for two years I bought a ticket, along with my fellows, to the St. Martins.It was the last week before the trips to the island closed for the rainy seasons when it is too risky to travel by sea. There was some forecast that the weather might turn horrid but we took our chances.In the end of a twelve-hour journey to Teknaf, we arrived at the docks early in the morning. We had slept through the entire night on the bus. After breakfast, we boarded our ship and within two and a half hours, we were in St. Martin.

As I looked through my cabin window, as our ship pulled over to the jetty, mesmerized I saw the magnificent island. It had green palm, banana and coconut trees and fine sandy beaches complemented by the crystal clear cobalt blue water; the enchanting scenery reflected the beautiful two days we were going to spend there, or so I thought.When I was stepping down from the ship I looked back as if I could see my patents on the boat, and I felt a shiver down my spine. Had I done wrong, disobeying my parents to come to this trip? I soon found out, the hard way.

We had a delicious meal of freshly-caught roasted fish after an excellent bath in the relaxing water of the sea. We cycled around the island in the evening before enjoying a fascinating sunset at our hotel. So far we had had an extraordinary time. The second day passed equally well.

Rumbling thunders woke me up in the middle of the night. The calm night-sky quickly git covered in fearsome-looking storm clouds. Our hotel manager informed me, as I strode down to the lobby, that, "A tremendous storm seems to be gathering sir, the weather reporters say it could last for a week". Waking Moriko and Lucas up I yelled, "We've got to  leave tonight or we'll be stuck here for days ." We did not possess the money to afford these luxuries for days. We hastily grabbed our travel backpacks and raced to the dock. The ship which was to take us back the next day had cancelled. No one on the harbour was ready to take us across: no one but a local fisherman, who was either brave or a fool.We must have been desperately homesick or simply crazy to head out into the sea on a little canoe, but we did.

We hopped on to the canoe and the stong fisherman heaved and rowed heavily, fighting the growling current of the sea.Although it was almost time for sunrise, the sky was dark up to the horizon. Suddenly wild winds wailed and the mad sea threw our boat about like a worthless little toy. It rained along with lightning and thunder. We screamed and cried and threw up in seasickness as the boat bounced on the tall cruel waves. Marika would have fallen off the boat if Lucas had not grabbed her in time! However, after a hellish journey, we reached Teknaf dock in one piece. I remember sobbing quietly thinking about my patents and their love and worry for me.