Chapter Four

The Ceryneian Hind

The Ceryneian Hind. That is what she saw. The Ceryneian Hind. Right there in front of her, and three men were trying to kill it. Ophelia stepped out from behind the tree, ready to confront the revolting men who stood beyond it. Her blood boiled at the thought of murdering the beautiful animal, more importantly, a sacred animal of Artemis.

The three men knew the hind belonged to Artemis as well.

They know who it belongs to, as I'm sure you do.

Did they truly believe they could survive against the goddess?

"Stop." Ophelia finally let out.

"What would you do if we don't? What could you do? Shall we shoo her off Ilias?" The first man, Landen, said, the surprise in his face quickly morphed into amusement. His crooked yellow teeth bared, a contradiction to his sickly pale skin and greasy black hair.  

"You're just a young girl, go home to do your chores. You surely must not think you, alone, could defeat us?" The second man, Ilias, said, one of his watery blue eyes swollen shut and his dirty blonde hair was disheveled and strewn about his head.

"This hind belongs to Artemis, a young girl as well, but this label will not prevent her from dealing a punishment, nor will it prevent I." Ophelia had heard enough of being foolishly told that she couldn't stand a chance, without being allowed to try. So, even though she wasn't invited to have a chance, it was long overdue. So, she simply took her chance herself and no one saw it coming.

"If you don't leave now, I'll see to it myself that you will never be able to harm or steal again." Ophelia calmly spoke.

The two men chuckled, but she wished they didn't for their breath could be smelled from miles away.

"I'll tell you once more, go home little girl."Landen said. "How will you manage to stop us from killing this animal?"

She showed them how. She cut their thumbs off.

(368 words)

A/N:

lol sorry didn't know how to really ease into cutting someones thumbs off, but it did the job yeah? I just thought, what would keep someone from harming or stealing? No thumbs? That works.