Kuri Kinton

Candied chestnut with sweet potatoes this can be made two different ways. One way is like a mash, and the other is like a fried dough ball. This is a dessert that's typically served during Japanese New Year and signify Wealth & Prosperity. It is also great for tea parties!
I'll tell you how to make both types of Kuri Kinton below starting with the ball one.  Hope you enjoy!

Kuri Kinton Balls

1 1/2 c Sweet Potatoes
1/2 c Powdered Sugar
3/4 c Chestnuts (toasted/chopped)
Pinch Salt
         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peel the sweet potatoes then cut them into one-inch slices and soak them in a large bowl of water for 6 to 7 hours.

Put the sweet potato and salt into a pan of boiling water and cook until just tender, about 15 minutes. Be careful not to overcook as they will take on water.

Drain well and remove as much water as possible as the mixture needs to be quite dry. Leave to cool and then mash in a bowl with the sugar and cooked chestnuts to form a smooth paste.

Shape into balls with your hands

*Optional*
Toast in pan with 1tbsp peanut oil until golden and top with sprinkled powdered sugar and cinnamon

Serve hot or cold with green tea and honey.

____________________________________

Kuri Kinton Mash

1 pound satsumaimo (Japanese sweet potatoes)
7 ounce bottle of kuri kanroni (candied chestnuts in syrup)
pinch of salt
mirin
sugar

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peel the sweet potatoes then cut them into one-inch slices and soak them in a large bowl of water for 6 to 7 hours.

Boil the sweet potatoes until very tender. Mash them with a fork and then push the mashed sweet potato through a sieve to remove any lumps or fiber.

Put the mashed sweet potato into a small pot. Add the syrup from the bottle of candied chestnuts, along with a pinch of salt, and cook the mixture over low heat. Add mirin and sugar in equal amounts if the mixture looks too dry. The kuri kinton will stiffen slightly once cooled, so be sure to take this into account when decided how much liquid to add.

Continue cooking over low heat, stirring to make sure the mixture doesn’t burn, until it has a slightly glossy look to it. Add the candied chestnuts and cook for several more minutes to heat through and then let cool.

 Add the candied chestnuts and cook for several more minutes to heat through and then let cool

So yea pretty simple! Lmk if you try it!