Chapter 4

The smell of bleach and the lonely white walls were all too familiar as I walked through the empty halls of the hospital. Sami, Anna, and Lexi trailed behind me as I almost sprinted to find Ashton.

On the fourth floor, I saw Kellie pacing the floor in front of the nurse's desk. She walked over to me, giving a big hug and telling me Ashton had lost a lot of blood and had to get stitches on a gash right above his ear.

I almost sighed in relief, realising that he would be okay. She walked me over to the room, saying " He's been asking for you." I felt my cheeks get hot as I walked over to him. He reached for me, patting my hand. " How are you?", I asked quietly. Ashton smiled and said " I don't feel too hot Dell, but you made me feel better."

Ashton told me about his crash and how the first thing that came to his mind after he crashed was me. It made me smile, but I knew this relationship we had was unhealthy for both of us. I was an anti-social girl that had trust issues and a depressing past, and he was the new kid with a bright smile and upbeat personality.

Ashton pulled me away from my own thoughts, asking, " What are you thinking about?" I sighed, my mouth speaking before my brain had a chance to keep up. " I have a hard time being friends with you because you and I both know I can't trust people and I don't want to lose you, like I almost did today. You deserve someone who is happy, and trustworthy, and beautiful, not me." My hands were balled up in fists, turning white.

Ashton loudly laughed, saying, " I know you haven't told me what you've been through, but I promise nothing is going to change how I feel about you. I know it is hard for you to open up for some reason, but I will never hurt you. You are so beautiful, and I am just happy to say you're my friend. I absolutely hated moving away from my mates Michael, Luke, and Calum, but I am so glad I met you."

I realised I was crying when Ashton wiped the tears away from my face. I had never been told I was beautiful by a guy before, and I had never felt so important to someone, because I never really was important, just ordinary. Though I couldn't understand why Ashton would care about my messed up soul, I was happy someone actually cared.

-----------------------------------------------------

Ashton came home from the hospital that Wednesday. I let him rest and came over around 8:30 Thursday morning before my shift started at twelve. Ashton was standing shirtless once again, out front, pouring water over the new flowers his mom planted yesterday.He smiled at me and hugged me, his body sweaty. I crinkled my nose and told him he needed a shower. He wrapped his arm around me, leading me inside.

In his room, we sat down on the bed, him showing me the scars he had from the accident. The gash on his head still had stitches, but he only has a few scrapes still visible otherwise. He walked across the hall, humming to himself. He climbed into the shower, singing various songs by The Neighbourhood. I rolled my eyes, laying back on Ashton plain black comforter. I got under the covers, falling asleep, even though I wasn't actually that tired. Ashton's pillow smelled of his signature scent, cologne and vanilla.

Ashton shook me awake, my eyes adjusting to the dark. He chuckled, saying, " Dell, it's 11:30. We've been asleep since 9:00." I shot right up, throwing my shoes on and heading for the door when Ashton stopped me. " Come on Dell, call in sick. Please, stay with me today." I sighed, debating whether I wanted to, but of course, my mouth said yes for me. After calling my boss and faking a cold, I went back to bed, Ashton's arms wrapped around me. I was content in this state, and for a while, I told myself I could open up to him. I could be normal and happy, but who am I kidding, things are never simple.

-----------------------------------------------------

The sun was setting as Ashton and I woke up. My dad had called a few times, leaving some angry messages. I called him back, telling him I fell asleep on Ashton's couch and he calmed down a little. I didn't bother explaining not going to work, hoping he wouldn't find out. Ashton cooked us macaroni for dinner, macaroni being the only thing he cooked that didn't burn or catch fire. We sat in his room, watching Pitch Perfect, which he said was stupid, but I could tell he kinda liked it.

At just after 8:00, I headed home, Ashton giving me a long hug. I was so confused on how I felt about him. I couldn't even explain the depth of my feelings for him, even though I had known him for less than a week.

That night, as I lay in bed, I knew Ashton had already changed me, and he was slowly breaking down the walls I tried so hard to keep up.