Chapter 5

Friday was another day off, giving me a chance to sleep in, which I didn't get to do very often. I was confused and tired, leaving my body weak and my mind numb. I don't know what to do about Ashton. I want him to be in my life, but I know he's better off without me. I flip over covering my head with a pillow and go back to sleep.

The late afternoon sun peeks through my window as I wake up. I had slept for over 15 hours. I sat up, pulling my tangled hair into a bun and saw Ashton sitting on my floor, watching TV quietly. I sighed, " Hello. How did you get in?" He looks up at me and smiles, saying, " Your dad said I could. He really likes me, you know."

I get up, grabbing a change of clothes, and wash my face and brush my teeth. I still have purple under my eyes after such a long sleep, and I realise that I am exhausted from the battle inside that I'm fighting. It's a constant battle from the part of myself that wants to be happy and normal and the part of myself that feels terrible and deserves to be unhappy. Ashton went home later, walking back to his house slowly.

As I was attempting to cook scrambled eggs for dinner, Ashton called me, asking if I wanted to go to see The Fault in Our Stars. I paused, and said yes, realising Ashton would see me at my worst tonight.

I picked up Ashton a 6:00, he was wearing black skinny jeans, a black tank top, red vans, and a red bandana. He looked so good compared to me in my light blue jean shorts and Led Zeppelin shirt. We went to Panda Express for dinner and Ashton told me that he could eat it all day, every day.

We pulled into the movie about 7:30 and took our seats in the theatre. After numerous boring commercials, the movie started, instantly making me emotional. As the movie ended, I was shaking with silent sobs. Ashton held my hand, rubbing small circles with his thumb. As we walked out of the theatre, I told him, " I'm sorry, I just got so emotional." Ashton smiled, saying, "It's okay, Dell. Let's go back to my house for a bit.

The drive home was peaceful. Ashton picked songs to play off my phone and he sang along, drumming on the dash with his long fingers. I pulled into my driveway, telling Ashton I was going to change clothes. I walk up to the door, and it was slightly ajar. I pushed it open and saw various bottles broken all over the floor. The strong stench of alcohol wafted through the house as I stepped over the broken glass. I thought he was okay. He never drinks anymore.

My dad walked into the room, his eyes red. He screamed " Why are you here, Della? Leave me alone!" I inched back, confused as to what started this. " WHY DID SHE HAVE TO LEAVE ME? ITS SO FUCKING UNFAIR!" He screams. Tears stream down my face as I race to my room, stuffing clothes into a suitcase and grabbing everything I need for a few days. Just as I reach the door, he says, " Why are you still here? Can't you see I don't want you?" I run out the door, screaming as I reached the car. Ashton shocked, wrapped his arms around me. My dad opened the front door, walking out into the porch. I started my car quickly, speeding over to Ashton's house, trying to catch my breath.

I climbed out of the car, Ashton grabbing my bag, and I grabbed onto his shirt to steady myself. Once we reached his room, I plopped down on the bed, my sobs so loud they shook the windows. Ashton looks distraught as he climbs into bed next to me, wrapping his arms around me. I cry for a long time, Ashton stroking my hair. I felt so numb inside.

I finally stopped crying after I ran out of tears. Ashton still held me, telling me, " I know you probably don't want to tell me, but I will always listen, and I promise I will be there for you." I sighed, clearing my throat and prepared to tell him everything, even the things I refused to tell myself.