When You Give a Main Character a Pamphlet

Unedited right now. Happy Birthday CHILLPENGUIN

The night instantly went from dark and normal to dreadful and still dark as Kayda walked down the streets of Neo Neo Neo City. It was horrible, she was already failing her role as the protagonist. She didn't win the first duel of the story and she didn't even have viable motives – and on top of it, she went berserk mode during the FIRST DUEL. She was getting tired of Dark Rebellion's anger issues, and she knew she would have done everyone a favor if she just got rid of the card, but somehow, she just couldn't bring herself to do it. It was a really badass card, and if didn't criticize her every thought and movement, she might have willingly used it in a duel every once in while – even if didn't even belong to her.

She yawned and stretched as she walked leisurely through the dark streets of Neo Neo Neo. Even after all the commotion, the night felt like a quiet one. She shoved her hands into her pockets and kicked at a stone as she walked. Oh well, she failed one night. Everyone had their down times every now and again.

She frowned as she passed a kid sleeping in an alley corner between a flower shop and a leather store. One part of her wanted to do something, leave him some money or a hunk of bread, at least something – but her reasoning caught up with her and she picked up her step instead of slowing down. There was nothing that could be done for kids like that; nothing that she could do. No Number for her, no supplies for the week. No supplies, no food. As much as Kayda wanted to help, she also had to look out for number 1 (not Number One – never mind, you get it) and that was herself.

Kayda stormed her way across the town until she came to an old rundown apartment building. With a dash of anime logic, and some natural badass (um, athletic) ability she jumped up from the street and flipped onto the fire escape. For a moment she paused and gave the city an obligatory glance over like so many of the Yu-Gi-Oh! Protagonists before her. This place looks like the inside of the VRains, she thought sourly. Just less purple with more summoning methods. She shrugged and turned away to start trudging up what would end up being five flights of stairs.

She was gasping by the time she made it to the roof, and she was half expecting Dark Rebellion to make some comment about a completed anime trope, but he stayed quiet. It was unusual for him to be so silent. Everytime she did pretty much anything, he would comment about how either Yuto or Ruri did it first. It was pretty annoying – but now she would have given her next meal for him to break the silence – preferably with an explanation on what the Hell just happened.

Finally she took a seat on the edge of the roof and pulled out the card. That seemed to wake the dimensional dragon right up.

I swear if you drop me off this bluff, the next time I see you I will Lightning Disobey your ass so hard, you'll be blasted back to the Xyz dimension straight into Heartland tower.

"Your aim isn't that good. Now plot dump, please who the Hell was that guy, and what was that dragon?"

You know if you watched all the way through Zexal, I wouldn't have to be sitting here explaining this.

Kayda held out her arm over the street and loosened her hold by a fraction.