Act XXV

"R. You know I haven't had the most... positive experiences at church." Julian whispered into Romeo's ear, a blush covering his cheeks as they walked down the snowy street.

"I know babe. I know. But I'm telling you, the pastor there is very open-minded. He's the person who actually convinced me to come out!" The tip of the green-eyed boy's nose was turning red, animated voice slightly muffled in his blue and black striped scarf.

"Okay..." The shorter boy still didn't look convinced, kicking a small block of ice across the shining blue tinged snow. His boyfriend gave his gloved hand a reassuring squeeze, tucking his other hand into his jacket pocket.

The blue winter sun was shining down through the bare branches of the white trees, someone's wind chime jingling along with the cold wind. The neighborhood was quiet, but not a daunting sort of silence, but the peaceful feeling of early morning. The feeling of a new, unruined day.

"It's still 9 o'clock, J. There's nobody here. Don't worry." The tall boy said, feeling the resistance pulling at his left hand where Julian had planted his feet.

"I don't think it's a good idea anymore, R." He mumbled, looking up nervously at the dome of stained glass of the small church.

"It'll be alright, babe." Romeo murmured, pressing his cool lips to Julian's. The taste of the hot chocolate that he just drank dancing along the curly-haired boy's tongue. The dark-haired boy swept Julian up off of his feet, almost falling over as he tried to open the frozen metal door handle with his foot, causing them both to crack up with laughter.

"Here, I got it! I got it! You're going to drop me!" Julian laughed, blue eyes shining. He reached for the door handle, pulling it open wide enough for Romeo to step into the doorway and hold the glass door open.

"Romeo Montague!" A friendly looking man stood slightly juxtaposed to the doorway, purple robes draped around his shoulders.

"Father Lawrence!" Romeo cheered, setting his boyfriend down on the floor, running over to him and giving the man a big hug. Much like a child greeting their grandpa after not seeing them forever. Julian stood back further, smiling shyly.

"How are you doing young man? And who's this lovely gentleman?" Father Lawrence said, pulling away from the hug and patting the tall young man on the shoulder.

"This, Father, is my lovely boyfriend, Julian Capulet." The dark-haired boy's smile only grew wider, reaching out and gently holding Julian's hand. The curly-haired boy's smile grew wider along with his boyfriend's.

"Wonderful! Come in, come in!" The man said, strolling over to a side door and beckoning them into the small room. The couple obediently followed, Romeo giving Julian's head several pecks as they walked over to the door.

"Well, what brings you two here?" The Father said, voice slightly strained as he sat down in his chair, leaning on the armrests heavily.

"Well... I was going to ask for your blessing, Father."

Julian sent a confused look as his boyfriend, raising an eyebrow questioningly. His boyfriend gave him one last smile, sinking down onto one knee, eyes trained to the ground as he pulled out a small ring box from the same mysterious pocket, in which he had kept his hand discretely in for the whole walk. With his entrancing green eyes, Romeo looked up at Julian, open his mouth to let the trembling words escape from his mouth.

"Julian, I know this might be a little early. We're only 18-years-old after all. But the thought of not having you by my side is enough to kill me. And the day I found you two months ago, almost dead in your bathtub, I knew. I knew I couldn't afford to lose you, I want to protect you, I want to help you find your true self. You're the light of my life, and I want to watch us grow together, get old together, and help each other through tough times. Julian Capulet. Will you marry me?" The velvet box made a soft clicking sound, revealing a smooth silver band floating in a sea of maroon silk. Julian's heart swelled like a balloon, taking up all of the space in his chest, not allowing him to talk. The curly-haired boy sunk down to his knees along with Romeo, tears streaming down his cheeks, hand covering his mouth.

Romeo smiled, tears gathering in his green eyes, leaning forehead against the shorter boy's and letting their noses touch.

"I'm taking that as a yes?" The dark-haired said tearily, removing his boyfriend's hand from his mouth, waiting wearily for the answer.

"Yes! Yes! Yes!" Julian choked out, squeezing his eyes shut, forcing more tears to trickle down his cheeks. They pressed their lips together, tasting the salty tears of joy on each others' lips. 

Romeo pulled away, picking the ring up gingerly, and sliding it onto his now fiance's finger.

"It's beautiful." The curly-haired young man mumbled in awe, twisting the ring between his two fingers.

"I'm glad you like it." The taller young man said, hugging his fiance to his chest.

"Father, can we have your blessing?"

Father Lawrence smiled,

"I give you two gentlemen my blessing."