fourth half

"Hello, Noah."

Oddman's voice came from behind her.

It was the same, comforting, but distant note, resembling the resonance of the lowest C in a set of black and white keys.

The brunette turned, and the flame inside the lamp was pacified by the wind.

Noah didn't notice how dark it was, up until she looked around.

"Hello, Oddman. What time is it?"

"Time?"

The tall figure tilted his head, leading the girl by the hand towards one other tent.

"Unlike in your world, there is no exact period of time out here."

It was strange.

But that was expected.

Everything in this new reality was strange.

Just like the truth itself.

"How do you tell if it's time to sleep and it's time to wake up?"

"By daylight and night."

"Then the hour for your circus show?"

"The darkness tells. . ."

He trailed off, his grip on her hand loosening.

It was as if he had been caught between spilling the beans and keeping the facts to himself.

"Nevermind. It's quite complicated, but I'll tell you some other time when we're free."

"But we are. . .?"

"We're going to meet the other performers."

Noah, suddenly forgetting about her earlier questions, got pretty excited.

The crackling of distant torches accompanied the sound of her rapid steps as she rushed to keep up with Oddman's speedwalking.

Her red muffler trailed behind her, as if it was a ribbon that marked a mortal's inevitable end.

Oddman took the lamp in his hands and tucked it away inside the tent they just entered, letting the child sit on one of the long benches.

As Noah looked around, a hanging doll caught her eye.

It was pretty.

It was very beautiful.

The details on its carved face were appealing, the tattoo that ran down her eye adding to its charm.

A blue, flowing top and dark-colored garments adorned its socket joints, the elegance of the clothing complimenting the rough material of the body.

It sat on a crescent-shaped carving, hanging from a pole that went through the tent's interior.

Just as Noah gazed at the pretty doll, its eyes rolled towards her direction.

It startled her.

"What, it's a human."

Caught by amazement and wonder, Noah walked towards the doll slowly.

"A doll. . . Can talk?"

"Oh, don't you know about us, child?"

"You're not normal."

"Exactly. Why don't you go back home, anyways? Your mom must be worried."

Oddman froze, his knuckles tightening over the lamp's handle.

In turn, Noah simply sat infront of the doll and gazed at her.