Small Talk [Chapter 1]

“Head up, Charlotte.” Ms. Hill, my Creative Writing teaching chided me. I was never very good about staying awake during class. It’s not that I’m particularly tired, I just have trouble sitting in one place for a while without my eye lids drooping. While I like creative writing, sometimes I would like to creatively shut my eyes. I had long ago finished my assignment and now boredom consumed me.

The bell rings and I make a dash for my locker. As a junior, I am able to go off campus for lunch. Usually though I just go to the football stadium and lie out on the grass with my sketch book. For once, I notice, that I am not alone. A group of students are sprawled on the far side of the field. I pick a spot as far away as possible from them. There’s one guy with light brown hair, who looks tall even while sitting, and has a girl sitting in his lap. There’s two more guys and two other girls. Everyone is matched up and the scene slightly makes me want to gag. High School romance can sometimes be a bit more than dramatic.

I spread out my blanket before promptly pulling out my sandwich. Besides being lactose-intolerant, I am also gluten-free. Before getting tested, my mom was convinced that I was making it up and stopped eating bread because I was trying to lose weight. When the doctor confirmed what I had assumed, she brought me a gluten free cookbook and a bread maker. They’re still some of my favorite possessions.

˚≤≥˚

It’s the girl. I didn’t know that she went to school here. Since when? How could I have been so blind? A thousand self-loathing questions race through my mind before I have time to silence them. That dress. Do people still even make clothes like that? Maybe that style is making a comeback. I don’t even know or care for that matter. I just need to know her name.

I tap my friend, Jeremy, on his shoulder and subtly motion to the girl across the field. He gives me a knowing smirk. I firmly but gently place Stephanie on the grass where she proceeds to pout and turn in the other direction, giving Jeremy my full attention.

“That’s Charlotte Hamilton. She’s a junior and keeps to herself. Rumor has it that she used to be completely different, but then a few years ago her Mom left and she just sort of shut everyone out.” In a softer tone he says, “She’s also really pretty, but I’m guessing you’ve already noticed that.”

“She’s beautiful, man.”

“Who’s beautiful?” I hear Steph ask from behind me.

“You are, of course.” I say and kiss her expectant lips.

“Good. And I better be the only girl you say that to.” She punches my arm playfully before standing up with her girlfriends and walking away. She turns once she’s off the turf to call back, “I’ll see you after class.” I flash her a smile and a thumbs up. I turn back to Jeremy. He’s been my best friend since middle school. Back when I had braces and before puberty really helped a kid out. Jeremey knows everyone at this school. I don’t know how, but I could say any name or describe any person and he’ll be able to tell you their name, year, and a fun fact about them. It comes in handy sometimes.

“So what are you going to do about Steph?” His face bears the biggest grin I’ve ever seen. I wipe a hand over my face before answering.

“I don’t know. Things are good between us. She’s always been a little clingy, so that’s not even a problem anymore. I like spending time with her still, but there’s something about her… about Charlotte, which just draws me in.”

“We could take the long way to class,” he says and waggles his eyebrows. He cocks his head in Charlotte’s direction. Before I know it he’s strolling across the field and I’m left to follow. But not before I nod a quick ‘bye’ to Patrick. He’s a total prick and we don’t really talk, but his girlfriend is a really good friend of Steph’s, so he sticks around. He salutes me in response.

We are there before I have a chance to think of something to say. Jeremy pushes me slightly, enough to make a noise. She looks up with such a startled expression and the biggest eyes. My mouth goes dry. Snapping out of it I say, “Tanner. Townsend. I’m Tanner Townsend.”

She raises a hand to block the sun from her eyes. “Hello,” she all but whispers. “I’m Charlotte.” I strain my ears to catch every word and syllable. Her voice is like biting into a cold apple. Crisp and refreshing.

“Alright then,” I say. In the time it takes me to say this, she has already packed up her stuff, is standing, and looking like she’d rather be anywhere else but here.

“Yeah, okay.” She speaks before walking towards the school. 

“You’ve got it bad,” Jeremy says while clasping a hand on my shoulder. I watch her retreating figure. I stay quiet because anything I could say would be a complete and utter lie. What have you gotten yourself into, Tanner? A sigh of frustration leaves my lips. I have a lot of thinking to do.