G. Renee Mason

“You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say or do can be held against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be presented to you by a court of law. Do you understand these rights as they have been read to you?” She said as she placed the cuffs on his wrists.

            “Yea, yea I understand officer lady.” He replied sarcastically.

          “That’s Special Agent, you shithead.” She answered shoving him up against the wall.

It took almost fifteen minutes for the officers to get to the store and the suspect would not stop talking. He wasn’t talking about anything in particular, something pertaining to the increasing price of poultry and how it has put him out of a job. It was extremely annoying. Even the noise from the overhead radio was drowned out by his constant jabbering.

Agent G. Renee Mason liked her peace and quiet. Her standoffish attitude is not something a person wants out of their partner, so that’s the main reason why she usually works alone, which is exactly the way she wants it. She’s been in the FBI for the past ten years and primarily works in the White Collar Crimes division at the field office in New York City (NYC).

While she was at the convenience store she frequents, a man came in wearing a black hat pulled down low over his face, an army jacket, and faded blue jeans, in the summer. She saw him approach the store and got a feeling there was something off about him but she wanted to make sure he was going to be a threat before she identified herself. As soon as he entered she moved behind one of the displays. It gave her a clear view of the front counter but enough cover to avoid being seen.

The man was pacing for a few seconds before he picked up a bag of chips and went over to the counter. Although the conversation was barely audible, she could tell by the cashier’s facial expression that something was wrong. She waited for a few seconds, and then she saw the knife he was holding and knew she had to react. Normally this was something she leaves to the city police, but unfortunately she was the only law enforcement officer around and it was an emergency. It was all she needed on her way home, to be caught up in some robbery that isn’t even in her jurisdiction.

‘This is not even my damn job, why am I doing this. It’s just going to take even more time from me, and all I want to do is go home, take a hot bath, eat my microwave meal, and go to bed. But no, this joker has to come in here and mess up everything.’

She slowly walked over to the scene, gun drawn, her finger on the trigger and other hand steadying her aim.

            “FBI, drop the knife sir!” She commanded.

He turned and looked at her. When he saw the gun pointed at his head he did what he was told. She could tell this was something he had done before because he knew the drill even before she instructed him. He slowly lowered himself onto the ground on his stomach, with his hands over his head.

            “Call 911. Tell them you have an agent who has secured the suspect, but needs back-up.”

The cashier, clearly shaken, picked up the phone and called the police relaying the message she had given him.

After she released the suspect to the uniformed officers she picked up her bag and items she wanted to purchase, paid the cashier and left. It took her another ten minutes before she pulled up to her apartment building. She quickly got out of the car, entered the building and rode the elevator to the fourth floor.

Once she finally got into her apartment, she turned on the lights, threw her groceries, keys, and gun on the kitchen counter and headed to her bedroom taking off pieces of clothing with every step she took. Stopping at her dresser she turned on her mp3 player hoping the music will help ease some of the tension she was feeling.