Weak Ankles

Weak Ankles

I opened my eyes, greeted by the scents of a slightly damp forest as I yawned widely, flashing fangs as I did so. The human half of myself started to wake up also, from somewhere I had buried it the night before. I was still in my wolf form, which surprised my groggy brain. I expected the rogue to be wrong, but I guess I was going to have to give him his credits. A black jumble of fur lay beside me and I nipped him with my teeth causing him to let out a surprised yelp. I only slept near my pack members, not filthy rogues. It didn't matter that he had saved me. I growled loudly at him and gestured with my head for him to back off. He rolled his eyes and got to his feet, his tail wagging happily as he wandered off into the forest.

Great. I'm injured and he just leaves me. Jackass.

I climbed unsteadily to my feet, wobbling a little in my three legged stance as I started after him, hopping indignantly like some old dog left out on the street. I let out a sharp and short howl, my way of telling him to wait up. His nose pushed through the undergrowth in front of me and I jumped backwards, growling as I did so. He pushed his head all the way through and it was then I realized he was holding a rabbit in his jaws. With a flick of his head, he tossed the carcass at my feet then turned and disappeared again, once again leaving me in the clearing to fetch his own food.

I glanced down at the rabbit that was laying forlornly by my feet, then I snapped it up it my jaws as I moved away from the edge of the clearing and into the middle where I could enjoy my snack. I dropped the rabbit and lay down, carefully placing my leg as not to hurt myself. I placed my front paw over the front half of the carcass and tore into it with my teeth, using my fore paw to help me tear the still warm flesh from the bone. I was crunching on the lower half of the rabbit's bones when Jett returned, carrying his own rabbit in his jaws. He dropped it and trotted away, disappearing once more. This time he hadn't travelled far and I could hear his laboured breathing as his body went through the change. He returned as a semi-clothed man and picked up his rabbit, glancing at me as I ate my own.

"I don't know why, but I never really enjoyed eating animals raw. I don't know how you do it," He chatted to me as he collected pieces of firewood from around the clearing and piled them in an already used pit that I hadn't noticed before. I was losing my touch for observance. He pulled a lighter from his pocket and proceeded to light a fire. Then he did something I really wasn't expecting. He walked to a rather large bush and reached into its depths, pulling out something that made me drop my rabbit.

A backpack. The kind that hikers use. What. The. Hell. What kind of werewolf has a backpack? With a pot hanging from it?

"You look surprised," He mused as he untied his pot and placed it over his fire. He opened his pack and pulled a bottle of water, a knife and numerous other things I could only imagine you would put in a stew. "It's a hilarious emotion to see on a wolf's face. Seriously stop." 

A guy that cooks... huh. I snorted at him and his pot, returning to my rabbit with renewed vigour.

"Jeez, don't eat like a lady on my account. It's not like you have company." This time I growled at him and he raised his hands in surrender. "Alright it was a joke. Keep your fur on."  

Why are you so annoying? I thought to myself as I picked up the rest of my meal and walked away from him, flicking my tail in a single lash to show my annoyance. I settled down further away from him and made sure that my back was facing him so I could eat in peace.

"Touchy. I see."

Lord help me before I do something drastic, I grumbled to myself as I ignored his comment and finished off what was left of my rabbit. This was going to be a long week.