Chapter Twenty-Two

((Dedicated to Rose152004, because she is my friend and I can't think of anybody else. ;-))

Chapter Twenty-Two

"Wait, so this Dawson guy shares your appartment?!"

We were all sitting in the living room, lying on the couch and floor as if we were on our own beds. Vince, Wilma, Tyler, and Dawson were squished together on the couch, trying to get comfortable. Rebecca and I were sitting in front of the couch, our backs pressed against it, while Remus was pacing back and forth in front of us.

Ricky was just lying on the floor, looking at the ceiling as if it were the most interesting thing in the world.

"Yeah, he's my mentor, so we share an apartment. Is that such big of a deal?" I ask my older brother, finally feeling annoyed by his still alive existence. Sure, it was all hugs and kisses as soon as I realized they were alive. But now I'm regretting my former affection towards these two horrors of the planet earth.

As if he read my mind, Remus stops pacing and looks at me. "Well, yeah it is! And I know you probably think I'm overreacting, but hey, you're just 16 years old, Hope. And sharing an appartment with a boy who isn't even a legal adult? That... I just don't like it. Or trust him." He looks at Dawson, squinting as if he just couldn't figure him out.

Vince nods at him as if he just proved the plate tectonics theory- as if Remus was the only person who actually was as 'smart' as him.

"Yep. That's me. Still here," Dawson intervenes, raising his hand so everyone can acknowledge him. "You know, I can hear every word you say, Remus."

"You think I give a damn?"

"Hey! Watch your profanity, Rem," I say, standing up from the floor.

"Don't tell me what to do, Hope."

"Likewise!" I bite back at him, sighing in anger. "Look, I've been living on my own for more then 4 years. Do you think I'm incapable of making my own decisions?"

"No," Ricky yells from the ground. I glance at him, raising an eyebrow. He repeats the action. "What? I speak one word and you think I've suddenly decided to turn into a magical mermaid or something."

I ignore him and turn my attention back to Remus, who also was staring at Ricky as if he grew another head.

"Of course not," Remus replies, relaxing slightly. But he shakes it away and remains firm. "It's just-"

"It's just what?!" Rebecca stands up, and she steps right in front of me, narrowing her eyes. Remus actually takes a step back in surprise. Oh crap... What are you doing, Rebecca?

"Uh-"

"Four years Hope thought you were dead, and you to her. What better way to act like you've missed her then to get in her face and scream about everything you think is stupid! And hey, you don't look a day over 17 either, so don't you dare say Dawson isn't eligible to be a mentor. Because frankly, you aren't even eligible to say something smart! 'Oh no, Hope has to share an apartment with a boy! Something bad is going to happen! I have to protect her because I've got nothing better to do with my godforsaken life other than playing the cliche older brother role!' Come on. You can do better than that! At least let her make her own freaking decisions, because it sure as hell seems like she can handle herself and her life more than you can. And if you think for one second that she can't take the pressure? Talk to me about it, and I can kindly show you to your grave. Capiche?"