Prologue

In the Kingdom of Prindiam King Caedes was hosting his annual Prindiam Masquerade Ball.

The Masquerade Ball was in full swing. I was wandering around the ballroom in the midst of the dancing townspeople lucky enough to get an invitation to this kind of event. Each year, King Caedes held a masquerade event, and each year I would attend with my father. I was so swept up in all the excitement of it all that when a stranger asked me to dance, I couldn't refuse. I was swung around the dance floor in an elegant, fast paced beat.

Having the time of my life, I didn't even feel as hours passed by, dancing the whole time. Eventually, I grew tired and went to get refreshments placed around the room on well-placed tables. A juice and a plate of snacks were grabbed, before I found a table to sit at. As I reflected on the night, I watched the people on the dance floor. They were all having a blast, as was I before she sat down.

Once I had enough refreshments, I went back to dancing. King Caedes was supposed to make an appearance soon, and I wanted to be sure to get more dancing in before he gave his speech. I was once again swept up by a stranger. Although they didn't know what I looked like, they could tell I was a very beautiful woman. My father was a very well respected man that got me high up in social status.

"Greetings, everyone!" A booming voice announces. "It is time for King Caedes's annual addressment."

The king appears up on the balcony as the music stops, and everyone stands still, staring up at him. He shifts in his formal robes and clears his throat.

"It is with great honour that you all have decided to take up my invitation to this ball. This year, it is a very special ball, as I will announce my future wife."

At this, everyone gasps with shock and excitement. A buzz starts around the room as everyone starts to chatter about who the lucky woman could be. I turn to my neighbour and chatter with them.

"That's quite enough!" Everyone quiets down as King Caedes starts speaking again. "Now, it has taken very careful consideration on who my bride will be. She will hopefully accept my sudden and unsuspecting proposal. Although it is very public, I hope she will consider it as much of an honour as I would consider it to marry her. Now, I call forward Miss Caria Laurentius. If you would like to accept my proposal, enter the room right below my balcony. I will be waiting to hear from you."

I gasp in shock as my name is called. In my shocked state, I glance at my father. He smiles and nods at me, encouraging me to accept. When I turn around, the king is gone, most likely to wait for my response. Everyone turns to me as I take a step cautious step towards the door. The crowd parts for me as I take another step forward. As soon as I get to the door, a guard opens it for me. I enter and see the king sitting in his throne.

"Hello. I see you've accepted my proposal. I look forward to getting to know you in the months leading up to our marriage."