Chapter Three

The doorbell rings and I run down the stairs to get it. Once I open the door, Arden runs into the house, squeezing me in a hug instantly. I hug her back just as tightly. Her parents and sister chuckle as they walk in the house past us.

"Hi, I'm so glad you were all able to come! I think both girls were just as excited to see each other." Mom greets our guests.

"We were quite happy to come over and see everyone. We brought dessert for later, since you are cooking us dinner." Joelle, Arden's mom, tells us.

"Well, thank you very much. You can bring it into the kitchen. Does it need to be refrigerated?" Mom starts a conversation with Joelle as they walk into the kitchen.

"Hey Hadley, how are you doing? I haven't seen you in a couple weeks." I ask Arden's younger sister.

"I've been good! I've been helping out mom a lot lately at our bakery. It's been a lot of fun."

"Oh yeah, that reminds me! I got a job at the library last week."

"That's perfect for you! I'm surprised you didn't think of that before! How are you liking it? You're loving it, aren't you. I can only imagine." Arden replies.

"I am loving it. I sort through the books in the back room and put them on the shelves. There's a whole basement there that I didn't know they had. They have newscasts and newspapers down there. I don't get to go down there often, but when I do, it's very interesting."

"That's the perfect job for you. Seriously though, you would love the library at the royal castle. It's way bigger than the one here in town. It has three floors, not including the basement for newscasts and newspapers. All of the staff and the royal family has access to it. Very few people get access to it outside of the royal family and staff, so I'm not sure why it's so big. Maybe I can see if they have an opening there, then you could get a job working near me. We would get to see each other more often than we do now, maybe even once a day!"

"I'll think about it! That would be amazing though! I can't imagine being that close to so many books, let alone the royal family! If it's going to get you in trouble, though, don't bother asking about it." I tell her.

"It wouldn't get me in any trouble!" Arden assures me. "Seriously, I can talk to the person in the librarian for you. It would be an amazing opportunity. All that would need to happen if you're considered for a job is the librarian you work for here would need to give you a good recommendation. I know she knows you well, so I don't think there would be any problem there. Although, it will take some time before my suggestion goes through and when you could get a job."

"Kids, supper's ready!" Mom calls to us.

We go into the dining area and take our seats.

"So, Elle, how have you and George been doing lately? We haven't talked in quite a while." Henry, Arden's dad, asks my mom.

"We've been good. Same with the kids. We're actually planning on renovating the store in the next few weeks. We bought the toy store beside us."

"I heard the Whitley's were selling. Henry and I would be happy to help if you need the extra hands. As long as it doesn't clash with our work schedules, that is." Joelle says.
"That would be great, thank you! We need all the hands we can get to get this done as quickly as possible to keep the shop closed for as little as we can. We can talk more details later on." Mom responds.

The conversation continues as we finish eating and clean up. Once dessert is served, we all lull into a polite quiet.

"This dessert is really good!" I tell Joelle.