Chapter 2: Target

Chapter 2: Target

Lloyd reluctantly opened his eyes, slowly taking in his surroundings. He was in a dark room, strapped to a metal table. The chains were obviously made of vengestone, so there was no point in trying to escape with his powers.

"Comfortable?" A dark voice said, his red eyes glowing in the room.

"Not with you," Lloyd said spitefully.

Overlord chuckled darkly. "I guess we never saw eye to eye."

"What do you want with me?" The Green Ninja asked. "If you wanted to destroy me, you could have done it by now."

"Of course. But, you see, I don't want to destroy you so quickly, it will take away all the fun. I want to see you slowly suffer. It will be much more worth it."

"You only want me, right? This is between you and me, my friends don't have to pay because of it! Let Zane go!"

"Like I said, I can't. He can only be cured by pure light. And I doubt a being of darkness like me could pull off such a task."

"My team...where are they?"

"Hmm. The blue ninja and the former Samurai are in my dungeon...the other two escaped and your mother and sensei have not yet been seen. But don't worry, I will soon find them and you will all be reunited one last time, I promise you that."

"And the people?"

"Hmm. Most of them escaped, but several have been rumored to be trapped inside some buildings in the Industrial District."

Claire, Lloyd thought. He tried to keep the fear from his eyes, but failed. Overlord noticed and laughed darkly. "Oh, so there is someone there that you care about? Someone you are acquainted with, possibly more than that?"

Lloyd stayed quiet, hiding his fear for Claire.

"I don't blame you, Lloyd. Everyone deserves a chance at love, I'm not that heartless. I once had a woman I admired."

"Wow, really? Never would have guessed that in millions of years."

"Stop laughing at me!" Overlord snarled. "Anyways, where was I?"

"I believe you were on the topic of being quiet," Lloyd joked.

"Your attempt at humor will not save your life, Green Ninja, and it sure won't save your friends' lives. Now, who is this person you admire? Who is this...girl? "

"Why should I tell you?"

"Because if you don't, I will kill every single one of those people in the Industrial District, including her."

Lloyd groaned. He didn't have a lot of options.

A Dark Matter soldier walked into the room, speaking some strange ancient language. The Overlord responded in the same language, and the soldier walked off.

"What did he say?" Lloyd asked, looking for an excuse to not make his decision.

"He said that they failed to find your father Garmadon as well."

Lloyd frowned. "You won't find him. Not ever again."

"He can't hide forever, Green Ninja," the Overlord snarled.

"No, I mean...he's dead," Lloyd choked on the last word, it had been awhile since he had talked to anyone about his father's death.

"Dead?" The Overlord asked curiously. "Old age, I assume? Perhaps was killed in battle?"

"No...he was banished to the Cursed Realm,"

"Ah I see. And I suppose the Preeminent was destroyed?"

"Yes. It was my father's choice."

Overlord laughed. "He always made bad decisions. Oh well, I guess it was his last. Anyways, I'll leave you to make your decision. I have work to do." With that, he strode out of the room, leaving the Green Ninja in the dark. Alone.

Onboard the Destiny's Bounty, Wu and Misako had Cole and Kai brief them on the mission.

"He used his powers to turn Zane evil, and he tried killing me. Then the Overlord made a huge sphere of darkness and kidnapped Lloyd, Jay, and Nya. He took Zane with him too. And on top of that, he's probably hunting us down now," Cole explained.

Kai sighed. "Its like the Overlord has been super charged or something. He's even more powerful than he was before."

"And he has turned Ninjago City into his base of operations," Wu said, stroking his beard. "No one gets in or out without him knowing about it."

"What I don't understand is how he has returned," Misako said. "Even if he were to take on another form, he would have to get to Ninjago from another realm."

"The Dark Realm," Wu said quickly. "That must be where he came from. I went there once to find Garmadon after Lloyd was kidnapped by Pythor so many years ago. It is a place flooded with Dark Matter, even more than there was on the Dark Island. That would explain the army of Dark Matter warriors."

"Well, we can't just sit here," Cole said, pounding his fist on the table. "He has the others, and as far as we know, he could be torturing them. He may have even turned them to his side like what he did to Zane."

"We must be patient, Cole," Wu said. "I'd assume the logical choice would be to split up and go into hiding. If he has turned the others to his side, then we are the only ones that stand in his way of ruling Ninjago."

"Split up?" Kai asked in outrage. "But together we're a better fighting force!"

Wu sighed. "But this way, if he gets one of us, he doesn't get all of us."

"Its for the best," Misako said. "Pack your bags, we will leave in the morning."

That's all for this chapter! Sorry it was shorter than the last one, but Chapter 3 will be more packed, I can assure you. Please leave your thoughts in the reviews!