Chapter 26 - Face

Masayang hapon for all of us my dears! I see so many happy tweets on my timeline and I'm glad everyone is in a good mood. Haven't watched EB because I attended a milestone for my son, his water baptism. Had a little celebration for this and was happy to note that there's also a happy vibe on Twitter. 

Things are beginning to get exciting in our story. Join me as the events heat up and we are nearing the "dreaded" teaser scene. We're currently #11 after only two weeks of release, thank you very much! I hope you stay with me till the end, let's see if you can second guess my plot twists :)

Have a great weekend mga beshies, and keep the insights coming. I love how you guys think and share your thoughts. Maraming salamat for giving time to read this fic :)

Kat was reading through Dei's screenplay excitedly. She read Richard's manuscript, and now reading Dei's screenplay was like adding an extra dimension to it. It was like taking a peek into how her sister's brain worked, and the journey was a colorful one. She never ready any of her sister's wattpad stories, maybe tonight she should start reading them. Her sister was a damn good writer, and Kat was mighty proud of her.

"Anong verdict, papasa ba?"

"YES. I'm excited, ate. Buti na lang di ko natuloy ipakita yung manuscript, sir Eddie might appreciate the screenplay more."

"So you believe this is worthy of being produced into a short film? Cinemalaya material?"

"Yes. Grabe angst level."

"Ok.....of course I'd like you play the female lead. I want a serious actor to play the male part. Kung artista lang si Jay, I'd love for him to do it kaso may bed scene."

"Sus ate, scenes like that are just work for us."

"Kat, I don't think I will ever forgive you if I saw you doing a bed scene with Jay. Magkalimutan na lang tayong magkapatid. I don't care if it's just work."

There was an edge to Dei's voice, an uptightness that Kat noticed for the first time. Was she being dense all these years in being close to Richard? She never really bothered to imagine what Dei was feeling about her closeness with Richard, even through the years they barely spoke to each other, while Kat and Richard still communicated.

"Ate......did you ever feel bad about my closeness with Jay?"

"Yung tutoo? I envied you. I envied your friendship, because it was sturdy despite the distance. I lost him for so many months, I had no idea what was going on in his life. And when he looked me up again, he told me that you both maintained contact. Mas strong pa yung bond ng friendship niyo kaysa sa relationship namin."

She was surprised with this revelation. Dei envied her, and it was not something to feel good about. When she was younger, she wanted a moment like this. She wanted the tables to be turned, for Dei to envy her for a change. Now that the moment has come, the victory wasn't as sweet as she imagined. She took her sister's hand.

"Dei, for the longest time, I envied you. Parang lahat kasi nasa iyo na eh. Maganda, matalino, accomplished, may ideal boyfriend. When I first met Jay, I thought he the coolest geek I ever talked to. Matalino pero cool, ang swerte mo. I hero-worship him until now. Aaminin ko, sometimes I wonder if it's more than just hero-worshipping. But I would never, never do anything to hurt you, Dei. Ate kita eh, love kita."

Dei smiled and felt her eyes water. Richard was right, Kat is really a good sister. The brat then has blossomed into a sweet young woman who was independent and awesome in her own right. A thought formed in her mind. Perfect segue.

"Love mo ko talaga?"

"Nako tangina, teka......"

"Wala pa nga eh....."

"Eh parang entrapment ha."

"Sige naaaaaa. This is how you prove you love me."

"Oh my goodness. Sige let's hear it. Ano yan?"

"I want Inggo to direct Disruption."

"WHAT?! Ate, anyone but him. Ano ba naman yan Ang daming magaling na indie directors bakit siya pa?"

"Kat, he's the best in the industry. He's a diamond in the rough. A future Brilliante Mendoza. Magresearch ka kasi eh. Alam mo pareho kayo, you don't know the value of research. Look at his previous works."

"But ate........he's insufferable. Ang YABANG. He makes fun of me."

"Alam mo actually, he might be the one for you. You have sparks between you, I can feel it."

"I want someone like Jay. Ayoko sa bastos."

"Still. When you kissed, you like it. Aminin."

"That's just lust. Tigang ako eh."

"You will not lust for someone you're not attracted to."

"Ate naman eh."

"For Jay. Please Kat. He's done so many grand gestures for me. Let me have this moment. I want to give this to him."

Kat closed her eyes and thought hard. Richard was her lifesaver, her anchor. If not for her sister, yes, she would do this for him. She opened her eyes and smiled at Dei.

"Sige ate. For Jay."

Dei should have been happy but she felt a shiver of apprehension. Kat agreed but not for her, Dei, her own sister, but for Richard.

-----

Kat agreed to meet with Inigo n the condition that Dei was with her when they met. They were now in Dei's office all three of them, sipping capuccinos and feasting on warm bagels with cream cheese.

"Guys, thanks so much for agreeing to do this project with me. Heck, I don't even know if Jay will like the idea, but I just feel strongly about this story. It deserves to be told."

"It's a good story Dei," Inigo said reassuringly. "I read the manuscript and your screenplay. Both are solid, although of course, as we go along, there may be rewrites that need to be done. The story sequences may be changed, depending on production limitations."

"What limitations? Are you referring to funding? Focal Point is willing to fund it. I already talked to sir Eddie and he agreed."

"Kat, it's not just the money. I have my own take on some of the scenes, especially the dreams that bother the lead character. There are explicit scenes that may require nudity. I need to know how committed you are to this."

"Kat, no. Hoy Inggo, I know how these artsy films are. But please don't use that as an excuse to exploit my sister."

"Dei, it's ok. I'm committed to this project. I'll do whatever needs to be done to make it my best film. This is for Jay, remember? And maybe doing this will prove I'm a serious actress. Na di ako pang-TV lang." She glances at Inigo.

"Kat......I really, really wish we can let go of that atrocity I committed."

"This is my chance to prove you wrong. Kahit anong ipagawa mo sakin gagawin ko."

"Look, may I interrupt, you two? I have two things to say. One, Inggo I want this film to be talked about, but only for its story and the beauty of the film, not for any body exposure my sister will go through. Kahit sabihin mo pang art film yan, people will feast over the nudity because Kat is popular. Two, by the time we start shooting, pwede bang kiss and make up na kayong dalawa? I don't doubt your professionalism, both of you, but I want this project to be enjoyable for us as well. Ayoko ng tension sa set. Possible ba yun?"

The two only stared at each other. 

"Ok that's it. Thank you for your time. Talk, you two."

With that, Dei left them both inside her conference room. He was mesmerized with her glowing tan, the smoothness of her bare shoulders and sleepy eyes.Inigo decided to break the ice.

"Kat......may I ask you a personal question?"

"Oh boy, here we go.......sige na nga, ask."

"Do you have feelings for Jay?"